Skip to main content
Topic: New System (Read 2777 times) previous topic - next topic

New System

Right now I have 2 10" MTX.

But I was looking to get a better louder system. I came across 2 of these:

They are 15" Xtant X. Also 2 boxes and an Xtant amp, which I found out later is 2 channel 140 watt, all for $700. I hooked up the amp with my current wires and bridged one sub to that amp but the amp obviously does not have enough power for those subs. I have other plans for that amp so it won't go to waste. One of my brothers friends was over one day and he has two 12" rockford fosgates in his truck, we disconnected them and hooked up one of my 15s and it sounded so much better. Then I came across this on ebay:

Its 1 channel 1000 watts. All this equipment has been sitting around for a while now but I will be be putting them in this summer hopefully. I will need to have the subs custom built into my trunk because the boxes won't fit side by side. Well the guy that put my new body kit on said that he could custom build them into the trunk. I saw his setup which he also custom built and it came out real nice. So my question is to you guys is, will I need to upgrade my alternator to run this setup? Thanks.

New System

Reply #1
Those are some bad ass subs. I would love to get my hands on another set of 12's like that. I'm not to crazy abou the new xtants that are octagon shape.

I had my rubicon 502 bridged and hooked up to one 12 and it sounded so kick ass. I can't imagin what 2 15's sound like.

Where did you find the xtant subs at?

New System

Reply #2
A friend bought some 12" Diamonds. I have never heard anything better.
"Real cars dont power the front wheels, they lift them"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
1984 Ford Thunderbird 3.8L "Drag Queen"
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

New System

Reply #3
If you have an alternator around 65 amps you should upgrade.  I still have a stock alt, but am still looking for a good used 95 amp.  Other things to do would be to run at least 4 guage power wire or even 1/0.  Also check http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124175 and it explains some wire locations to upgrade under the hood.

New System

Reply #4
I'm running about 2500 watts, and with a stock alternator.
I feel that anything over 250-300 watts should have a higher output alternator, and a good battery, for optimum sound.
I'd look into a 3G setup for some serious stuff like what you have there...

BTW, nice collection of bottles,:evilgrin:  some time, when I get moved, and can get all mine displayed, I'll get a pic of em, I have at least 100...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

New System

Reply #5
Where did you find the xtant subs at?
Before I did the sc swap, the car was at another shop where they were going to build up a 351 for me but kept giving me the run around. Anyway one of the mechanics there had them at his house and he was trying to get rid of them. I figured since I bought my 10s with the box and an amp for 400 from circuit city as a package deal, 700 for 2 15s, two boxes and an amp isn't a bad deal. I couldn't find info on them anywhere because it's all about their hex subs now but I contacted xtant and they sent me everything I need to know, thats also how I found out about the amp.
BTW, nice collection of bottles,:evilgrin: some time, when I get moved, and can get all mine displayed, I'll get a pic of em, I have at least 100...
Thanks. I didn't know what you were talking about at first because I didn't know I caught them in the picture. When my brother and I had an apartment, the collection was much nicer and displayed real nice but when we moved out we threw everything out so they wouldn't smash in transport. The best I've seen was at this apartment where they had this room that had a shelf all the way around the top of the room and had on display one of every beer ever made. I seen some shiznit up there that I've never heard of before. Post pics of yours when you get the chance. Here's a little something I did in highschool at my boys cape house(summer house).

We then stacked the last three rows up to make it go from floor to ceiling but that doesn't look too good.

Thanks for the help guys. I was planning on bigger wire(lower gauge) but wasn't sure how low to go but if you think 4 guage would be best I'll go with that. I am running a stock alternator so I'll look into upgrading it. Do you guys know how much more expensive the higher amp alternators are? Thanks.

New System

Reply #6
If your running a stock alternator, get a capacitor. I can't push my subs to the limit, and I'm only giving them 600w. No matter what a capacitor is well worth the money.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1984 Mercury Cougar GS 5.0:cougarsmily: BBK Equal Length Shorties, BBK O/R X-Pipe, Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mustang GT Stainless Tailpipes, 18" Magnaflow Rolled Edge Tips. Turbo Coupe Hood, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler. 17"x9" Cobra R's, Falken Ziex 255/50s, and 245/45s.
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Lone Star Edition 5.7L Hemi 400hp, lex DOD14M Magnaflow retro-fit ler kit

New System

Reply #7
Quote from: cougrrr302
If your running a stock alternator, get a capacitor. I can't push my subs to the limit, and I'm only giving them 600w. No matter what a capacitor is well worth the money.

That's a topic that seems to get people in pretty heated discussions.  In my opinion from LOTS of research and reading that a cap is not the best option.  Almost anyone who is really into car audio will say that a cap should be one of the last things to add.  Bigger alt/battery/wiring/extra batterie(s) are more important and actually fix any electrical problems as opposed to just being a band aid for a larger problem. 

I will also add that I have a cap in my car currently.  I bought it before knowing any better.  In my other car when I install the stereo I will be runnning a 200 amp alt, and probably 2 extra batteries. 

Jason

New System

Reply #8
I dont like the extra battery idea. Especially when I have nowhere to put one. A cap is an extra battery if you think about it. Works the same way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

New System

Reply #9
Maybe it's just me but that seems godawful high.  Like maybe twice what it should be.  You can buy better stuff out there.  You can order a zapco 2500w amp for 400.  And I know those subs aren't worth 250 cause a box shouldn't run more than 50 bucks.  I can still buy those subs around here for 75 each.  I think this line is in the same boat with Rockford Fosgate and Wolfenhaug, everyone thinks their loud because their better than the cheap stuff they've got, but there's still better stuff out there.  If I were you,  I'd head of with some Alpine Type R's, or Kicker Comps,  be just as loud, and cheaper with a high quality amp that can drive them adequately

New System

Reply #10
I threw all my bottles out, except my beer bottles.  They line the top of my room.
One 88

New System

Reply #11
How is a cap a bad thing at all?  Sure it takes about three seconds to charge up when you start the car, but I don't see any side effects?  What are the "pros" resons for ditching caps?

New System

Reply #12
Because a cap isn't a real fix.  It just stores a small charge for a while.  An upgraded alternator would be the way to go as an alternator can charge a 1 farad cap just about as fast as it can discharge.  The only way I've ever seen caps used the right way was at competions with cars that had no engines.

New System

Reply #13
I'm running about 1000w rms between my highs and sub amps. Trust when I say go for the upgrade. The standard alt is a joke when it comes to stereos. I'll be upgrading mine this summer. I'm tired of my amp shutting off when my voltage drops. It is embarasing to be blasting your music in public and then it cuts off cause your battery is not recharging fast at the stop light. Even with a cap, I still have this problem. I second the alpine type-R. I've got a 12  in a large box(1.3+ cubes ported). You would think I had it least 2 subs. The Alpine is an extra smooth sounding sub. One is all you need with right box and amp. PS I sold rockford and alpine for a living.