Skip to main content
Topic: Installing Body Kits (Read 1051 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing Body Kits

What's the best way to have to it done?  What have other people done? 

I had my first kit put on at a regular body shop and they basically don't do custom work, only repairs, so it was their first kit and it came out good but it was the McK Plastics kit and you could tell that the front piece and the rear piece were three pieces, you could notice where they were pieced together and the whole kit was bolted on.  I went there because the body shop manager is a good friend of the family and they do good work, I had them put a whole new front end on the cougar when my brother almost totaled it, while I was away, driving it without my permission and you wouldn't even know just by looking at it.  They installed the kit, removed all rust and dents, and painted the whole car for 1500.  Now since I slipped on ice over the winter, hitting a curb and f*cking up that kit, I went out and bought a fiberglass kit from automotive and brought it back to the same shop where they are going to charge the same price.  I bought the fiberglass kit because it's 4 pieces instead of eight so that I won't have those lines in the kit where they were pieced together.  Anyway I had told them to urethane the kit on this time because I was told that urethane will hold it no problem but a half hour ago I get a call saying that the only way they will put it on is by bolting it. 

So I ask again what's the best way to have this done, should I look for another shop just to install them?  Should I have the bolts filed down to sit as one with the kit (the only problem there is it would be a  to remove, if necessary)?

Re: Installing Body Kits

Reply #1
3M double stick tape...that's the ultimate solution. You *could* also have it put on using silicone caulking but that gets kinda messy, and will screw with the paint big time if any gets on the fiberglass. Pop rivets would work better than bolts. But I see absolutely no reason why you'd need to do that with 3M tape easily available.

Reply #2
The double sided tape will hold the weight of the fiberglass with no problem?

Reply #4
Make sure you get the 3M stuff. Go to an auto body/paint supply store - they should have it. Don't get the cheap stuff you see in the hardware store.