Skip to main content
Topic: Maybe Somebody here can Help? (Chevrolet issues) (Read 1166 times) previous topic - next topic

Maybe Somebody here can Help? (Chevrolet issues)

While I'm waiting for my Thunderbird to get finished up at the shop, I've been working on the '89 C-1500 (350 cu in/700R4) I've had since '06.

Seems as though since January it's been running like garbage, at times.

So, after a new gas tank, new intake manifold gasket, EGR valve, new MAP sensor, new Throttle Positioning Sensor, new timing chain and gears, new distributor cap & rotor, new plugs and wires, new coil pack, new computer, and new fuel pressure regulator, the pick up still has the same hesitation from 1/2-throttle to 3/4-throttle it's had for a while, now...

There's no vacuum leaks on the engine and the compression is good on the 4 cylinders I've checked.

The sumbitch runs like a spotted ape aside of the hesitation, so it's got me confused as all get out.

I know it's hard to diagnose a vehicle behind a computer screen, but might anybody have anything to offer? I'm thinking new fuel pump. As far as I know it's got a new fuel filter, but I'll probably go ahead and replace that as well, if I replace the pump.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #1
Codes?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
Since I put in the new fuel pressure regulator it's not throwing any

Reply #3
Do you have a known good oem map sensor?

I had a couple Saturn's and they would really act up with map sensors from parts stores
I would throw the old ~100-200k mile old sensors on and they ran awesome
Just something to look into

I would also to a resistance sweep test on the tps
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #4
Pop your distributor cap off and check the rotor for excessive play (try turning it back and forth). Some play is normal, but if it's really sloppy you might have a worn distributor gear
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #5
I put a new fuel filter on it (thought it had a new one, but I was mistaken), and it's cleared up the issue almost 90%. When I get right around 1/2 throttle it will hesitate a little bit, but runs like a champ anywhere else in the throttle.

TC, I had the distributor out when the timing chain was changed and it was in top notch shape.

Maybe the 302,8XX miles is finally catching up with it? But dang it, the truck runs too good.

Reply #6
I think I have it narrowed down to the throttle body. When I get to half-throttle quickly, it sounds like there's a big rush of air. Not sure if it is some kind of vacuum leak around the throttle body somewhere, but I shall find out later today.