Skip to main content
Topic: 83 Idle Issue (Read 962 times) previous topic - next topic

83 Idle Issue

Seems as if I always get the fun ones to work on.....    :bricks1:

I have an early 83 Cat to work on tonight that is suffering from an odd idle situation.

The car is a 5.0 CFI with an EEC-III, and Duraspark Ignition.

It has always been taken care of pretty well and has the following new parts within the last year:

Crankshaft Position Sensor
Fuel Injectors
TPS
Ignition Module
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pressure Regulator

Basically, the car will start and idle but will then sort of bog down/miss/cutout for a second before resuming normal idle.

I've got a rough idea of what may be causing this, but as always would like other opinions before start working on it.

Thanks everyone!!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: 83 Idle Issue

Reply #1
check the egr and vaspoogee lines.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
egr and either engine air temp sensor or engine coolant temp sensor.

Reply #4
Quote from: jcassity
does this also happen when the engine is hot and restarted?

Yep it does.

The EGR itself was pretty bad.    It was definately clogged and had started working it's way back up to the throttle body.

Those have been cleaned and re-installed.

I have not yet checked to see if this fixed things, as I am also doing some other work on this car at the same time.

I'll likely see what happens by the end of the night.

Any other thoughts in the mean time?

Thanks Again!
To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

]Ralph Waldo Emerson

Reply #5
Update on this:

I'm still trying to figure this one out.

The car still has the same symptoms: start, run for a little bit, bog down and miss, then it picks itself back up and runs again.    And it repeats.    It will do this at idle, and also in gear while driving.    With the engine hot or cool seems to make no difference.

The EGR, Throttle Body, etc., have all been cleaned, and the vacuum lines all checked and replaced if bad.    The problem still persists.

I have not tried the Coolant Temp Sensor or Air Temp Sensor yet.  I don't see how they could be related to this issue at this point, but hey, it's a Ford Product so anything's possible.  :)

Any more idea's guys?

]Ralph Waldo Emerson