Skip to main content
Topic: Will this quick fix last? (Read 1419 times) previous topic - next topic

Will this quick fix last?

Tonight I pulled outta the driveway and I guess I was driving the car a little too hard and it blew off the small tiny coolant hose that runs to the EGR valve cooler thing.  It was the "top" one on that flat cooler thing, the one that goes over the the driver's side of the intake.  Since I didn't have enough length of hose and it was late, I just got two shorter lengths of thicker (but same internal diam) hose.  Stolen from a brake booster on a truck.  Cut two short pieces, stuck bolts in one end of each, then clamped them onto the places where the hose used to go. 

While I was in there I also stuck a small piece of sheet metal in between the EGR valve and the gasket to block that POS EGR valve off.

Is this gonna blow off in three days and leave me with no coolant again?

Re: Will this quick fix last?

Reply #1
FYI: The hoses are not to cool the valve, but to keep it from freezing up in the winter.  Your fix sounds fine temporarily however, FI engines benifit from the egr in that combustion temperatures are reduced and thus pre ignition will not occur as easly on lower octane gas.  You can leave it perminatly blocked off and if their is a problem run higher octane gasoline.