Skip to main content
Topic: header prefarance and why (Read 1892 times) previous topic - next topic

header prefarance and why

I'm curious what everyone's prefarance is as far as shorty vs long tube headers. I read that long tubes are a pita to get installed. I found a pretty awesome x pipe set up from jegs I'd think about using if I went with long tubes.  http://www.jegs.com/i/PYPES/958/XVX10/10002/-1
But like I said, wanna hear some good opinions

Reply #1
I like the unequal length BBK shorty headers.They are super easy to install and remove if necessary,quality pieces,and look great.I have a Pype's 2 piece Mustang off road X-Pipe.No issues ever with it.Bolts right up with very minimal effort.I have heard better torque with long tubes,but not enough to make me want to go through the hassles of using them.My BBK's are fine,and as i stated,easy to use.I like that when I'm swapping parts,or whatever.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
That's kinda what I'm thinkin too. How hard is it to install long tubes?

Reply #3
my mac's i pulled the engine out and put them in, then undid the steering shaft and ran that through the D side tubes and they were ok... the stock steering shaft would catch the tubes on WOT and lock the wheel lol, and every time i took the headers off they were a major PITA to put back with the individual s. long tubes give you a lot more low end torque and some more power, shorties are mostly just HP with a little more torque. and if you really wanna get down to it, the way all the tubes meet the collector, and the length of each one really need to be custom made for each application to get the best benefit for your setup but... thats expensive and nobody wants to do it, so if you want loud and easy, get shorties lol...

Reply #4
I have installed many different models of long tubes on fox bodies.  The only one's that were bear to intall were some Hooker Super Comps 1 3/4".  The rest weren't bad.  If you are installing headers for performance, do the long tubes.  The difference is well worth it.

Reply #5
installed BBK shorties and I really like them, havent heat cycled them yet but they look good and are a quality piece.

Reply #6
Quote from: 86T-bird;318063
I have installed many different models of long tubes on fox bodies.  The only one's that were bear to intall were some Hooker Super Comps 1 3/4".  The rest weren't bad.  If you are installing headers for performance, do the long tubes.  The difference is well worth it.

I hear you on that a total mother.....
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #7
347Thunder:  Man, now there's a shared experience, kind of like going to Catholic Schools!  I feel your pain.  Those HKR 6227's are crazy to put in.

Just a heads up to locate the proper installation directions on the Hooker site:  Select the 6222's (1 5/8").  They've got them mis-marked... :beatyoass:

Reply #8
well at least i know what to stay away from

Reply #9
Quote from: 86T-bird;318107
347Thunder:  Man, now there's a shared experience, kind of like going to Catholic Schools!  I feel your pain.  Those HKR 6227's are crazy to put in.

Just a heads up to locate the proper installation directions on the Hooker site:  Select the 6222's (1 5/8").  They've got them mis-marked... :beatyoass:

I put them in then I had to take them out again to put sealant on the 4 slip joints because they leaked real bad, that was fun but they look really cool.
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #10
so bbk seems the way to go for shorties. Does anyone one here have headman shorts?

Reply #11
Quote from: 86T-bird;318107
347Thunder:  Man, now there's a shared experience, kind of like going to Catholic Schools!  I feel your pain. 

Try going to Catholic schools for 14 years (preschool-12th grade) I even went to an all boys Catholic high school. The all girls school was next door though;) I went to a public university for college and was amazed that I didn't have to take a religion class, or have a nun or brother for a teacher:rollin:

Back on topic. What are your plans for the engine? Heads ect? I'm running FRPP stainless shorty headers because they fit my GT40P heads like a glove and clear the column shifter linkage. If you go with long tubes you'll have to have a floor shifter with an AOD. There is no way long tubes are clearing the column shifter linkage.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
ultimately, i'd like to either stoke a 302 and throw that in there, which i'd like to knock the external bolt on's out of the way before, or go stroked 460 with a tubbed rear

Reply #13
Shorties are very easy to install and don't give much issues when changing a starter either.  They are also a bit more friendly with electrical wiring as there is more room to get it away from the heat source.  The equal length shorties are a bit more of a pain but it is mostly due to the extra space they take up between the head and the inner frame rail and shock tower area.

I had the MAC 1-7/8" headers on my car and they were a nightmare as far as fitment was concerned.  Looking back I should have ran the 1-5/8" headers and I think life would have been much easier.  With a 302 based motor I don't think the 1-7/8" primary headers would gain much over the 1-5/8" primary headers.  Others may have experience that they could share?

For me I would tend to move towards the shorties, a good x-pipe (with high flow cats), and a good cat-back system on a 302 based motor.  Minimum of 2-1/2" pipe from the headers back would also be preferred.  I know a couple of guys running shorties on 351W based motors and put some good numbers down so it all a matter of what you are willing to deal with.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #14
i like my ford racing stainless shorties. great fitmit on my mark 7