Skip to main content
Topic: GT40P Heads on my stock short block (Read 4065 times) previous topic - next topic

GT40P Heads on my stock short block

Reply #30
Negative, All sensors are new and the thing shouldn't run at all without the map

Reply #31
40 psi fuel pressure @ idle with the vacuum line disconnected is fine.

If the vac. line is connected and you're seeing that much pressure at idle, it's too high (But with a stock pump/injectors won't matter much -- too long to explain here). 

You could open up the plug gap to .052" as well...

Just because a sensor is new does not mean it's not defective....Time to check for codes.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #32
Im not throwing any lights, but all them sensors worked in the old setup, all I did was remove the intake and bolt it back on.  Whats the easiest way to check for any codes? I advanced the timing and readjusted everything and that helped it a bit but its still running fat rich and I got a feeling the plugs are fouled again. Apon deceleration while in high gear is the only time I can get the a/f guage to read a little leaner but its in the stoich range.  On hard acceleration it seems to run good, its the idle and drivability thats screwed up.

Reply #33
Hmm. All your vacuum connections hooked up properly?

As far as codes.....

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #34
I'm gonna go try and get some codes now.  CanP is gone, out of the car. EVR is also gone, Only thing I got left is FPR which is hooked up with new lines, the MAP coming off the plastic tree, PCV, and of course the source for the plastic tree, Theres no leaks everything has new lines. I have however developed a mad leak out the oil pan plug =P I've turned the fuel pressure down to 36psi and the timing should be around 14 degrees initial advance. I regapped all the plugs to .050 except for cylinder #7 because I have to take the header off to get him out. When I pulled them out they appeared to be starting to run a little leaner but the a/f gauge is still pig rich at idle, I even made a nice black spot under my pipes on my garage floor.  I just gotta get the car to lean out at idle and part throttle and I'll be okay.  I'm assuming I'm running into this due to the smaller combustion chamber and filling it with too much fuel.

Reply #35
So I solved the problem. Apon reassembly of the upper intake manifold I left my other helping hand in charge of hooking up the vacuum lines to the MAP sensor, well his stupid ass felt the need to unhook the wire harness to it, so this entire time the car was running like shiznit can be pointed at him for not plugging it back in when he was done.  Now hopefully I can burn the built up carbon out of the cylinders, the car diffenently has much more top end power. However, at partial throttle cruising highway speeds, theres a slight miss, or a sput from time to time, just one sput and then it might happen again later. Thats unexplained and I'm not too concerned at the moment, next up is a fuel pump and rear control arms. I gotta think about an ECU tune as well, I'm sure the stock ECU would help from a little updating on whats really under the hood and whats not there anymore.  Nobody would have a TwEECer? or a good suggestion for a chip or tune on the cheap side would they? I also really really wanna try these other injectors I have which being a different subject, I'll post on another thread. Thanks for all the help guys, this car has come a long way since when I bought it in June.

Reply #36
Glad to hear you got it worked out.....WIth the Sensor disconnected I would imagine it was running all sorts of rich...

Pull the plugs and clean them up.....
I'd bet that would be issue with the stumble at light load.