Skip to main content
Topic: GT40P Heads on my stock short block (Read 4066 times) previous topic - next topic

GT40P Heads on my stock short block

my 88 stang still has a stock short block, pistons and stock cam.
I'm putting on some GT40P heads and was wondering about the lift and spring rates.  Would 1.7RR be a good idea or are the stock springs too wienie to be leaving the 1.6s behind. Any info would be a great help.  Thanks

Reply #1
The stock GT40P springs *should* be ok with the stock cam and 1.6 roller rockers. Really though you would have to check to see how they would be with 1.7 rockers. It depends on how used the heads are/how worn the springs are.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
So I just pulled the passenger side head off, D8OE cast into it, now my question is, where did the E7s go? But on other thoughts, I've read very little about D8OEs, can someone elaborate a little bit?
Also my pistons have reliefs cut into them, but also 0.040 punched into the top of them. Whats the deal there? This thing bored out already? Its an 88 Stang for anyone who don't know. I'm gonna go start digging up the old receipts now.

Reply #3
Seems the .040 tells you something.Measure the cylinder,
show a pic.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #4
"D8OE" were also on H.O. 302s through '84 (and '85 w/ CFI) and S.O. 302s for a couple years past that (until they also got roller cams like the H.O. did).

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/72317-302-351-cylinder-head-identification.html

I'm doubting that that stang has the stock engine, at least completely stock...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
THey may have went to '85 on the S.O motor, but AFAIK, no SO with SEFI had anything other than the E6's from the factory...

Your motor's bores .040" over FWIW so it aint runnin the stock pistons....however they may be stock style.

Any more description/picture info you could give on them can only help us tell you what they are.  Is there a small dish along with the valve reliefs?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
I'll measure it and try and get a pic while I do the driver side tomarrow, gaskets will be here in the morning, I ordered some gaskets for a 93 Cobra figuring it would be appropriate. The passenger side is ready to get put on, I'm starting to wonder what the cam says, or if these are forged pistons even or not. There a way to tell from what I can see on top?  This explains why all the mustangs at the local 1/8 track are a second faster than me when no mods at all, and I got plenty. Despite being a convertible or not.
Should I use the stock rockers from the D8s or the GT40s?

Reply #7
I'd run the 1.6 rockers ,better springs are a good idea.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #8
No dish, When I last built the motor for my 84 Cougar it had the same looking pistons with the valve reliefs cut into them.  There is rings from inside to outside, like the rings on a tree trunk, those are seen on the pistons, I don't think my forged pieces from the cougar motor were like that.  If I got a lame motor, I'm gonna be pissed.

Reply #9
Which ones are gonna be the 1.6s? The ones that came on the GT40P heads?

Reply #10
I'll measure it and try and get a pic while I do the driver side tomarrow, gaskets will be here in the morning, I ordered some gaskets for a 93 Cobra figuring it would be appropriate. The passenger side is ready to get put on, I'm starting to wonder what the cam says, or if these are forged pistons even or not. There a way to tell from what I can see on top?  This explains why all the mustangs at the local 1/8 track are a second faster than me when no mods at all, and I got plenty. Despite being a convertible or not.
Should I use the stock rockers from the D8s or the GT40s?

Reply #11
the explorer gt40p had the 1.6 ratio,I'd use them,if you're planning on a cam more agressive than stock, you will need different pistons anyways,my 86 tbird had flat tops, i now have the engine thrity over with decent size valve reliefs. take some pics it would help alot.
'83 Cougar *the never ending project* warmed over 306 v8,c4,8.8 posi with 5 lug conversion
'91 mustang strictly street-in progress
'00 f150 7700-Mean Green: jet stage 1 chip,ported upper intake with 1" spacer,'04 Super Duty intake with injectors,summit racing short tube headers with true 2.5" duals with smithy's glasspacks!

Reply #12
if you're planning on a cam more agressive than stock, you will need different pistons anyways

He has valve reliefs.  And to add, plenty of guys here are running non stock cams on non-valve relief pistons......I'm one of them....

I'm starting to wonder what the cam says

What length are your pushrods and what's the casting # on the block?
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #13
I'll measure the rods next I'm in the garage.
My pics are too big to attach it seams. I'll have to come up with something else.

Reply #14
My pics are too big to attach it seams

Email em to me.....
Paul_Flockhart@hotmail.com