Skip to main content
Topic: dirt cheap gutter guards: CHICKEN WIRE (Read 4053 times) previous topic - next topic

dirt cheap gutter guards: CHICKEN WIRE

So decided to fix my problem with the gutters getting full and having to clean them out 3 or 4 times a year.  I looked around and was about to buy the platic gutter guard system when i ran into a house that had that system.  The platic was sagging and bending due to the lack of U/V stability i guess. Anyway it looked like  also.

I got a 4'x50' roll of Chicken wire and cut it up in into 6'' wide parts and ended up with 8 lengths of gutter guard 50' long.  I really didnt have a plan on how to put it on cause i knew id figure something out.

I ended up shooting the wire down into the roof just a wee bit under my existing tin. Now it just sits there on top of the gutter with no other fasteners.
I suppose those with shingle roof could lift up the edge of thier shingles and lay down roofing nails to hold it the let the shingle back down on top of it.

anyway,, first pic is how easy this stuff is to not really see which is a plus for looks.

next pic is what has been going on in my gutter since i have not been up there in 5 years.  I do have pine needles but they seem to make it to the downspouts pertty good.  Maple tree seeds will get through as well.  Leaves,, nope, they have to work very hard to make it in.

another benefit is that when snow eventually starts to slide off, the snow does not rake against the gutters ripping them off.

Reply #1
Yeah, I have the pine needle problem myself. Maybe having a dozen of those trees around the perimeter of the house isn't such a good idea...

Anyway, there is generic plastic gutter guard on the house now, that my father installed before I got the house, and it works pretty good for everything but the pine needles. I'm still up there 3-4 times a year unplugging all the downspouts (it's a brick ranch with an all hip roof). They get "hairy" quite often in the spring and fall. Honestly I don't know how to solve that problem. The "gutter helmet" stuff is popular in my area but at $14/linear foot...screw that. And I don't know if it really even works that great. I've also seen the sponge thing that lays down inside the gutter, which looks promising to me...but I'd still have to manually remove the pine needles with that too. So for now, I just break out the gloves and do things the hard way...

Reply #2
I've got chicken wire in my gutters, too - I've got a huge maple just next to the house. The leaves are bad enough but the seeds plug everything up (including the chicken wire, unfortunately)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
Time to start cuttin down trees!!!
1988- 3.8- T-bird- sold 2005 Grand Prix, GTP- COMP.G MODS: Inferno Hood, GXP spoiler, Liquid Metal Wheels,K&N Intake,LED taillights,LED reverse lights, LED interior lights, 180*,605s, Pacesetters :burnout:

Reply #4
Got the pine needle issue too.  Dunno if there is a solution.  I tried all the gutter guard stuff, and it does keep out the big stuff just not the  pine needles.  I spent $1900 on tree removal this year and still expect to have to do the spring and fall pine needle removal.

Reply #5
Quote from: Vantage08;119600

Screw that - that big ol' maple provides some very important shade in the summer. Plus it's probably about 300 years old (the trunk is every bit of 6 feet across) and is a beautiful tree, especially in fall:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
you can almost use a hardwood as a compass to find north.  Ever notice what those missing leaves on the top are telling you about true n/s/e/w?

would that happen to be an evening pic taken?

Reply #7
I dunno, that pic was from the real estate ad :p

Reply #8
Well at least it will keep the chickens out! Ha ha had too! Not a bad Idea, I don't own a home yet so I don't have to worry about it!

Ingenuity FTW!
1987 Cougar XR7 5.0 SOLD
1992 Ranger 4.0
2018 Hyundai Elantra
2019 Ram Rebel

Reply #9
Quote from: Vantage08;119600

Tell me about it - a friggin' pine was growing near my driveway this year - I cut that sucker down in a heartbeat - I HATE pine trees! I will not allow a pine within 100' of my house - no way. I do have the idiot maple propellors clog up my downspout from time to time - ed plastic gutter gaurd needs to be screwed on as it keeps finding it's way off in windstorms.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #10
i have three uses for a pine

LUMBER  #1, cause yellow pine is some durable lumber

Pine Cones #2,  ever took a pine cone , held it upside down and lite it on fire?  now get a hand full of them and start your fireplace if you got wood heat.  I and the kids collect two trashbags full of them each fall for firestarters.  Turpentine is some flamable stuff im here to tell ya.

Pine Needles #3, I noticed that when ive cut some lumber on the mill, my friggin chickens are going nuts in the sawdust.  The dogs weill even roll in it.  Then it occured to me mother nature is talking to me.  She says the terpentine must run off fleas and mites....... so every fall i rake up pine needles in the yard and lay about a 2' deep layer in my dog house for the dogs and also add some to the lil checken spot.
It makes good for the ferrate (SP) cage also.

Reply #11
No rain gutter, no problem! :shakeass:

jcassity, what kinda mill do you have? if you dont mind a slight hijack :p

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #12
It took me several years before I got all of the pine needles out of my Cougar - they were in places I wouldn't have believed until I removed the fenders prior to painting. Oh, and the heater core. Nobody will ever convince me of the usefulness of pine trees near a driveway :D
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.