Skip to main content
Topic: C5 worthwile? Hearing AOD horror stories. (Read 1061 times) previous topic - next topic

C5 worthwile? Hearing AOD horror stories.

Been lurking a while, seems to be a good knowledge base here.  Yet, I'm still hesitant to post in fear of mass flaming.  Not your fault, mine, possible dumb question follows.

86 T-bird 3.8 originally. Rather than just ask a generic "Which AT is the Bestest?" thread I'll throw some info out.  Search showed many threads saying to use the search and a great many threads on AT-MT conversions, so I apologize in advance if this has been discussed ad nauseam or is simply common knowledge.  Other than rebuilding a big I6 for the work truck I'm Ford ignorant, especially when it comes to piecing together a Franken-Ford as this has quickly and unexpectedly turned into.  Short-ish version as follows, figure more info can't hurt..

Have the 87 3.73 8.8 and disks in, AL 3.5" dia shaft from a Vic ready to be chopped once motor and trans are in when proper measurement can be taken, 351 is finally built but waiting some paint and top end assembly, FI wiring harness and controller appears set to go, glass cowl hood is painted.  Trans has not been selected or purchased let alone worked on.

I'm wanting to retain a column shift auto (already have a rail-riding fast 2 seater w/manual, 73 Opel GT with GM 60* Turbo V6 6-Speed and BMW IRS blah blah blah, so I'm ready for something different with that relaxed feel.)  Was planning on dropping the C5 for an AOD, but there seems to be quite a bit of negative feedback on the AOD and I surely don't want to start installing downgrades or sidegrades.

Any input on trans selection, negatives and positives, would be very appreciative.  Seems to me the only limit on my choices are durability, as bellhousing fitment and flexplate availability should be a non issue.  Using a late model tranny with comp controls is not out of the question (trans computers dependency on the engines computer may be an issue, however.) 

I'm thinking a C4 is out of the question, as I have a C5 in my shop, the AOD appears to be a dog when there's more than just a little bit of power.  Should I go ahead as planned with the AOD, go for redoing the C5 (search showing a few AOD to C4/5 swap threads is making me second guess,) a C5 w/ C4 VB, A4LD (bell incompatibility, right?,) does the 4R70W match, try to snag an older FMX and bell, maybe a newer 5R44/55/110W?  Am I way off track here or overthinking the whole thing?  Welding, torching, cutting, wiring and parts shipping are not taboo.  Money is a concern, but value is king.  Again, any info is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

-Apple

Reply #1
If you don't care about not having od then the c4 is probably the strongest option.
An aod can be made to work just fine, as long as you set it up right tv cable shift kit,maybe a new torque converter and a cooler.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
With 3.73 gears, you'll hate anything without O/D in just a couple weeks...

The AOD gets a bad rap cause almost no one will properly modify one... You try to run it stock with any real amount of HP/torque and yes it'll puke it's guts..

Me, I have a AOD from a '90 Super Coupe... ONLY mods from factory are a Stallion 2600 stall converter, hardened input shaft(yep I broke original) and a Trans-Go shift kit, otherwise it's never been apart... I've been running it for almost 10 years(Nov '99), and has approx 750 dragstrip passes, a few with nitrous... It's no doubt a little tired, but is still hanging in there...

You can use a AODE/4R70W, IF it's from a 3.8, 5.0('94-'95 Mustang only) or a 300 I6(Van or P/U)... Probably the best ones are from a late '90s early '00 4.2 van or P/U... The earlier transmissions(AODE & all AODs)have a 2.40 ist gear(all Stangs), while the later versions(4R70W) have something around 2.80 1st.. 4.6 versions have a different bellhousing pattern(dunno which engineer had his head up his ass on that one)... Problem is these transmissions are electronically shifted so you need a transmission controller if not using a computer controlled engine('94-'95 Stang computer)...

Reply #3
3:73 gears=need AOD.They aren't as bad as they are made out to be.Make sure the TV cable/Linkage stays on and adjusted and you will be fine.
Pimp smacking smart azzes on the streets since 1970

Reply #4
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;275211

You can use a AODE/4R70W, IF it's from a 3.8, 5.0('94-'95 Mustang only) or a 300 I6(Van or P/U)... Probably the best ones are from a late '90s early '00 4.2 van or P/U

Don't forget about the 1996–2001 auto Explorers with the 5.0.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #5
So I shouldn't have just bought the complete rebuild kit for my C5 then? haha.. I have an '86 with a 351w and 3.73's too.. yea, she tops about 120 mph.. and she's just-a-singin'. lol.
It's a daily commuter, 80 miles a day.. I keep it at 65 mph most the time though.. gets 20 mpg that way!