Skip to main content
Topic: So what can we do... (Read 17704 times) previous topic - next topic

So what can we do...

Reply #60
Quote from: CougarSE;467310
I remember hearing about a turbocoupe picnic/breakfast years ago but now I cannot find any info on it.  The only reference is someone on NATO posted an unanswered question about driving in from Indiana last year.  I fear I will need to turn to facebook to find answers.

On that note I went hunting for any kind of event to attend, even the Mustang boards.  I can't find anything that has happened close by in recent history.  It really looks like Carlisle is the biggest showing of cougars and tbirds.

I found it.  It was NATO and it was last weekend.  I guess I missed it.  There's always next year. 

I live in the Dayton area and easily could have made it.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

So what can we do...

Reply #61
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;467332
I found it.  It was NATO and it was last weekend.  I guess I missed it.  There's always next year. 

I live in the Dayton area and easily could have made it.

where did you find the info?
One 88

So what can we do...

Reply #62
Quote from: Tbird232ci;467331
Good luck with that. Graham has been busy running a Facebook group and banning people who don't agree with him.

:rollin:

Only ones that deserve it, surely..lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So what can we do...

Reply #63
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;467343

Only ones that deserve it, surely..lol

In his opinion maybe.

It's Gumby's fault.

So what can we do...

Reply #64
I went to see what was going on there, to my surprise, I was no longer even a member. Last time I checked, I was an admin..LOL.

It...err...maybe it's been some time since I last..went..there..hmmm. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So what can we do...

Reply #65
Quote from: CougarSE;467340
where did you find the info?

It's a sticky on the NATO message board.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

So what can we do...

Reply #66
Have any of you ever seen what makes a website "phone friendly"? Because any time I visit a forum on my phone it is ab-so-lutely POLLUTED with advertising. Mobile-friendly seems to do nothing except take a perfectly cromulent website and turn it into clickbait.

THIS...... All CENTURY long THIS.

FWIW  -- Flickr allows 1 TB of storage for free accounts.....  Maybe have an account setup through a dummy email account and make the User name password accessible to members under the explicit direction that it be for technical photos/diagrams only (builds could be included). Car show photos and shiznitpost kind of stuff would be verboten to upload to it.

Just a suggestion.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

So what can we do...

Reply #67
If we were to do a "sticky" section,  would it draw more members if the info was readily available rather than do searches? I sometimes link to other sites only because it's easier for me as I don't type worth _ _ _ _.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

So what can we do...

Reply #68
The "greatest hits" section has lots of sticky posts with common questions.

So what can we do...

Reply #69
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;467372
The "greatest hits" section has lots of sticky posts with common questions.

My bad........looked right past it.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

So what can we do...

Reply #70
So has anyone else been trying to do their part to bring activity back?
It's Gumby's fault.

So what can we do...

Reply #72
I mean my car is kinda done. I do want to replace the headliner and have the sunvisors recovered but I'll probably do that next year, and I'll most likely farm out the work.

Edit: I had this thread last year: http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?40211-After-29-years-it-s-time-for-some-paint

Now you want me to undertake another major project? :hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

So what can we do...

Reply #73
Hopefully this doesn't come off as harsh, but being someone who does IT professionally, and runs multiple successful forums, I can see why this forum (and other tbird/cougar/2.3 forums are dead): they're all boring, dated and not feature rich.

for this forum in particular, here's a few things that could use some doing:

1- stop using the default vbulletin theme, or one that's very close to default.  that's boring and doesn't set the site apart, and I'm not sure if it works well on mobile devices.  this site NEEDS to work well on mobile devices.  most people in 2018 visit sites/forums/facebook/twitter on their phones, NOT on a desktop/laptop device.

2- create a section/database/wiki for common DIY stuff for our cars.  most forum searches suck bad...ask me how I know.

3- integrate social media style plugins/features on the site: allow people to be tagged using the @ symbol, set up alerts, allow people to create accounts/sign in with facebook and twitter, etc.

4- stop hiding forum sections until after you're logged in.  that discourages viewers and people from signing up.

5- why is the default setting to ONLY show threads from the last few days/weeks?  that's annoying as hell and forces people to use the search tool to find old threads.  did I mention that most forum search engines suck bad?  you're exacerbating the problem here.

6- add https to the site.  google increases their search engine rankings for sites that uses https.  it also loads the pages faster with https rather than http.

there's more that can be done, but that's a start..

So what can we do...

Reply #74
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;467290
I just haven't had the time to do much lately - it's deer season, and I'm typing this at the cottage on internet that is barely above dialup speed but less reliable. I will say this about the suggestion to update the forum to a more phone-friendly version: Have any of you ever seen what makes a website "phone friendly"? Because any time I visit a forum on my phone it is ab-so-lutely POLLUTED with advertising. Mobile-friendly seems to do nothing except take a perfectly cromulent website and turn it into clickbait. One thing we admins have been pretty adamant about with this forum, right from day one, is that it would never become one of those annoying places full of ads, and I have that same belief still.

a mobile-friendly site is a MUST in 2018.  the sites with a million ads are like that because of the way the admins have set it up.  you don't need to make your site obtrusive to make it work well on mobile screens.

Quote from: EricCoolCats;467292
Agreed. We don't really need advertising on this site, and even if we wanted it...there aren't too many businesses that would make us their target audience. ;)

So Carm, are you in for the upgrade? If so, who's handling it?

what's wrong with getting people to pay a small fee to list a small banner ad for their site?  it helps cover site costs and it directs people looking for parts suppliers for these cars..