Skip to main content
Topic: 13.4 @ 104 (Read 4009 times) previous topic - next topic

13.4 @ 104

last summer i only got the car to run 13.4
did that with one strut up front gone bad so front would pop up then drop like a stone and make rear wheels break lose.

car should do alot better for whats in it and after we ran the car we pulled the motor to find that one piston had lost the ring landing and all of top ring.  Thought it was only going to be a head gasket.

Oh well next spring will be fun.

Re: 13.4 @ 104

Reply #1
Nice times what's your setup?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #2
Quote from: 88cat
Nice times what's your setup?

This will take a wile to type out LOL

Under the hood.
351W motor bored out a tad and stuffed with forged 22cc dished pistons and hellfire rings. Forged crank and rods with anuf ARP parts to make me wish i had stock in ARP.
Milodon High Volume/High Pressure Oil Pump
Ford Racing Double Roller timing-chain soon to be swaped for gear drive.Crower Performance Camshaft 520 lift flat tapit. maybe soon to be rollerCrower duel springs locks and retraners and 1.6 Roller Rockers.

Ford E7 heads ported and worked over more then heads are worth.
Soon new heads will sit on the motor.
Intake is Holley Street Dominator that has been ported matched to heads and tweeked a little bit.
Demon 750 carb helps mix the air on its way in and NOS cheater kit is sitting under the carb for that little extra help.
Thanks to MSD for blaster coil Pro-Billet Distributors and little red box to help it all work. Mac Headers that go to 2 1/2 Exhaust

Tranny
A833 with Lakewood Bellhousings to mate the A833 , Ford motorsport steel flywheel hays clutch and plate

Susp
I have ajustable KYB and stock springs with stock control are and poly.  Frame is tied together with some killer connectors.
Uper stock arms boxed in with polys.
lower arms are South side style lift arms.
Tork boxs are all plated and welded up
Stock rear springs with lakewood shocks.

rearend,
8.8 out of TC but i have stuffed in spool, 4.10s and 33 spline strang axles.

NOS kit is 32 hole cheater plate kit.

The runs were not done on the bottle.
I know have a fuel systom to suport up to a 200 shot so cant wait till spring.

I run 275 60 15 tire on the back for street use,
28/10.5 MT Drags for the track and 28/11.5 ET streets for playing around.

Reply #3
So it went 13.4 on 7 cylinders... That really ain't bad... You were only making power with 312cu in(assuming the 351 is .030 over for 357 total), and draggin' a dead cylinder as well.

Mine went 8.49 down at the 1/8 mi track in Nov, would been approx 13.2 1/4 mi.

Reply #4
We were little surprised when we pulled the heads off.
My buddy took one head to bench and was looking for signs of head gasket fail marks and i was cleaning the coolent out of the cylinders
I hit number 5 and it had huge rige that kinda told up not all was well LOL.

It wore into the block 0.042 and that was a 30 over block to start with so its safe to say that block was tosted.

Now what i have posted for motor is what i have in the car now.
Only things difrent are pistons old one had flat top KB hiyperpathitcs and yelded a compression of 10.7:1  the 22cc dished forged ones i have yeld 9.7:1 with my heads that i have on and with my 351 heads will yeld 8.5:1 and i hope to go boost.

Ether way right now with heads i have on i can spray with no probs and if i decide to go turbo the bottom end is built for it.

I think u know Mike's budget twin turbo page but if not,
http://www.toohighpsi.com/BudgetTT/BudgetTT.htm

I would be going with mega squrt and not carbed.

Reply #5
,, can we keep this guy around tom?

sounds like you know mods and engines real well.  great time on a dead hole for sure.

Reply #6
hard to say how dead it was.  I had no top ring left and chunks out of the piston but it still ran fine.  I had a little smoke so we thought it was few other probs and sure not this.  Anyhow i have pics of block with wall tosted and piston and whats left of it.
I also have vids of car on the street and track.

Reply #7
Quote from: SirChirpAlot
hard to say how dead it was.  I had no top ring left and chunks out of the piston but it still ran fine.  I had a little smoke so we thought it was few other probs and sure not this.  Anyhow i have pics of block with wall tosted and piston and whats left of it.
I also have vids of car on the street and track.

Was that the KB piston that locked a top ring in the bore? I'm just curious (and don't take this the wrong way) because my engine builder was not aware of the special top ring gap requirements for KB pistons (KB piston special gapping requirements)  and I had to return the short-block to him to get file-fit rings fit to the bores. Ive since blown a head-gasket by running my supercharged motor into fuel shut-off (crazy detonation at >6250 RPM) but the lightweight KB281 pistons survived no problem. I'm not saying this is what happened to your motor, but butting the top ring and breaking the top of the piston off is a common failure mode for KB pistons and it is usually because the engine builders are not aware of the special gapping requirements for these pistons. In fact, my builder RECOMMENDED KB pistons to me but I had to print him out the info from the web page because he didn't want to believe what I was telling him!!
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #8
I 100% agree with what u are say. The gap was right with mine.
Only other prob we had was intake gaskets that would not seal rigth with my intake and heads. I had changed 3 intake gaskets were they failed and the motor sucked in oil.

After we had motor apart and looked it over we think that the piston that failed was getting oil in there and that droped the octane of fuel and when plaing with NOS on the street we feel that might have been the end of that ring landing.
It could have also had oil and wore a rige in the block and then had rung hit it or i was the unlucky owner of a block with a weak spot.

Ether way whats done is done.
I built that last motor cheap and used the KB hiperpathetic pistons and for the price cant complane.

Reply #9
I whitnessed said run of 13.4    It was a beautiful thing.  That dead cylinder had quite a bit of damage as well. 

Don't forget Chirp.....  I have a good home for the new 351 if you Upgrade.  ;)
1986 Thunderbird:  5.0L (157,000km) /AOD/ 7.5  Accel Cap/Rotor/8mm wires.
Wanted:
-10 Hole rims or turbines
-Stock K-member or cheap aftermarket
-Cheap  8.8 posi  Rear. 

R.I.P 
'84 Cougar  3.8L 4BBL / AOD/ 8.8 posi  "Runns"
'93 Mustang 2.3L /T-5/ 7.5
'85 Cougar 3.8L /AOD/7.5  "Jolly Green"
'87 Mustang 2.3L / T-5/ 7.5
:burnout:

Reply #10
Charlie i have botom end of 460 my old roller 302 and 69 351w block end and heads at bills.  Roller 02 needs could use new bearings and rings but other wise its ok.  It still has X303 cam but heads on my car right now.