Skip to main content
Topic: tracktime at moroso (Read 1894 times) previous topic - next topic

tracktime at moroso

I finally got back to the track.  I got 3 runs in, but screwed up on the first run.  Car= 88  3.8

2nd run

60'  2.306
330  6.826
1/8  10.558
mph 65.72
1000 13.789
1/4  16.515
mph  82.88

3 rd run

60'    2.350
330  6.871
1/8  10.605
mph  65.62
1000' 13.840
1/4  16.569
mph  82.83

I weighed the car using there scale. I don't have much confidence in the accuracy of there scale.  Weight without me in it was 3100 lbs. I had less than an 1/8 tank of gas, I was running on empty.
I thought our cars weighed more than that.

There was another tbird there. A 1986 with to many mods to list.
they only got one run in and were dissappointed with a 15 flat. They were hoping for high 13 s.

Andy P. 88 3.8 tbird

Re: tracktime at moroso

Reply #1
What are you running for tires?  Well done on the times.

Reply #2
re - 15 second disappointment

In my experience, everybody thinks their car is at least 1 full second faster than it really is then the get to the track and are disappointed.
Moral here- don't antite too much and you'll never be let down. After all, if I added up how much power each manufacturer claimed their parts would produce (i.e. 8hp with underdrive pulleys, 15-20hp with X-pipe, etc.) I'd have over 350 hp by now but I don't and I have never been foolish enough to expect it.  What I do expect is some sort of improvement whether it be hp or mpg or driveability.

I guess I just had to rant - too sick of listening to people tell me their car must run 12s or such "but I haven't had it to the track yet"

Reply #3
lol, Well, right now, my car probably runs mid to high 10's in the 1/4 mile.  YEAH, mid to high 10 MINUTES, that's just cause as mine sits, I'd have to push it!! :shoothead
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Reply #4
Sancho)  Stock size tires, first run I forgot to let some air out of the pass rear, plus I was unable to avoid the water box that made for a bad launch.  25PSI in the rear, 35PSI in the fronts.

Most of the drivers there seem dissapointed with there times when you talk with them. Not me, I was happy with mine.  I know what your thinking) get that torque converter on there and run some low 16's. thats next, its just going to have to wait until after Christmas.

The weird part about the 86 tbird, he wouldn't pop the hood so I could see this motor he was bragging on, Oh well.

its all fun.

Andy P. 88 tbird

Reply #5
Quote from: andy88tbird
Sancho) 
Most of the drivers there seem dissapointed with there times when you talk with them. Not me, I was happy with mine.  I know what your thinking) get that torque converter on there and run some low 16's. thats next, its just going to have to wait until after Christmas.

The weird part about the 86 tbird, he wouldn't pop the hood so I could see this motor he was bragging on, Oh well.

its all fun.

Andy P. 88 tbird

It's good to be happy with those times.  Would you believe that my buddy's 1991 Mustang GT ran 16.4s bone stock - talk about a let-down.

Reply #6
I was unable to avoid the water box that made for a bad launch. 25PSI in the rear, 35PSI in the fronts.

Try to drive around the water box if possible, but if you are a track that you can't (like the 1/8 mi track in NC) just drive through it and burn the hell out of the tires to dry them. I've run on stock tires and found this is the best way. Managed to pull some low 2.1 sixtys, but mid 1.9s are the norm for my drag radials.

I guess I just had to rant - too sick of listening to people tell me their car must run 12s or such "but I haven't had it to the track yet"

Yea that one irks me as well....

Most of the drivers there seem dissapointed with there times when you talk with them. Not me, I was happy with mine. I know what your thinking) get that torque converter on there and run some low 16's. thats next, its just going to have to wait until after Christmas.

Was real pleased with my Bird a couple of years ago when I was doing some up grades(converter, 
2 1/2" exaust, tires, fresh tune up). Started out running 14.0s and wound the year up with a 13.11. Every time I went(6 times) it was quicker, or made more mph than before.