Skip to main content
Topic: Teddy and Cad-T-Bird at the track, first time with room to improve. (Read 2828 times) previous topic - next topic

Teddy and Cad-T-Bird at the track, first time with room to improve.

Took the T-bird to the track tonight, test and tune and street legal only.  Before you laugh too much remember that I’m new to this.  I always wanted to do it but have only done it once before, two years ago for two runs.  A perfect reaction time for this track is 000 so I'm very slow.

T-Bird at the track 9-23-05, First run.         
Run   1   2   3   4   5   6
Time   5:41pm   6:22   6:45   7:01   7:12   7:20
R/T   1.067   0.516   0.610   0.425   0.580   0.555
60   1.997   2.043   2.071   2.037   2.068   2.005
330   5.813   5.876   5.949   5.866   5.951   5.813
1/8 mile   8.903   9.033   9.125   8.980   9.158   8.932
MPH   79.28   78.45   78.26   80.81   77.73   78.68
1000   11.601   11.755   11.834   11.698   11.883   11.633
1/4 mile   13.863   14.051   14.115   13.971   14.156   13.893
MPH   97.19   97.85   98.43   98.95   98.87   99.19
Lane   Left   Left   Left   Left   Right   Right

It was really strong to about 3800RPM but fell flat after that.  The best times were when I shifted from first to second at 3800RPM.  Also I would be way ahead of the car next to me only to have him past me at the end.

I think I have an electrical problem.  I installed a new rev limiter before I left (set to 5,500) and I think it was making me miss off and on.  Also I drove home in the dark with the headlights on and the battery was dead when I got home.  Too late to check anything tonight but I think that rev limiter will be removed (don’t really need it anyways) and I will check the plugs to see how they look.  Might also be running lean at the top end?  With this cam I should be pulling to at least 5,000rpm.

Also my local car club has what they call the 100mph club, but I did not quite make this goal.

Overall a very good night drove the 60 miles there and back and except for the dead battery it made it no problem.  Nothing that can’t be fixed and improved upon.

Life is fun.  Next event is Friday the 30th and the weather report looks good.

Here's some picture my son took, not the best but it proves I was there. http://putphoto.com/madmaxx890/track/

TED

Re: Teddy and Cad-T-Bird at the track, first time with room to improve.

Reply #1
for you having problems, and not using the RPM range, those times are great dude

trace all the wiring, if it all checks out, have your alternator tested

not enough voltage can do some funky things
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
First off you reaction time is only important if your actually racing, it  has nothing to do with ET... You'll get better as you get some more runs under your belt..

Not to be ugly, but for 500cu in those times are poor(but if you're only turning it to 3800 then maybe not that bad). You've got to have some type of problem... Once you are able to spin that monster up to 5000-5200, I'd think mid 12s would be easy...

Reply #3
Found one problem, the nut fell of the alternator and the wire was just bouncing on the terminal.  Lucky it did not fall off and short out, 8 gd wire going all the way back to the rear battery, would have made a mess!

I think I burnt out my Pertronix ignitor kit, a $110 mistake.  Kind of wish I had a point style distributor to put in there to test this theory.  It  ran home but would not start this morning and I don't have any spark.

Gas is going to full but I will check the jetting.  I don't think I'm running low on gas, it just does not feel that way, not since I filled up the tank.

I would be really happy with low 13 or high 12s.  What I tried to do with this is make a muscle car.  Most of the cars in the late 60's ran high 13s so I think I met my goal.  A street legal car that is easy and comfortable to drive.  I do have about $8,000 in this project but I still have four more engines around and tons of parts.  This is total with the price of the car. 

You can't get ugly TurboCoupe50, I'm always happy to hear what you have to say, both good and bad.  I know there's a lot more there and I'm going to find it.  Once everything runs great and without problem it will be time to try some happy gas.

TED

Reply #4
One more question TC50, what should I expect for 60' times?  What do you get?  Do you have any tips.

Thanks

TED

Reply #5
work on the reaction and 60fts and you will have some real low 8's high 7's 1/8 mile
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #6
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500
One more question TC50, what should I expect for 60' times?  What do you get?  Do you have any tips.

Thanks

TED

With traction, I'd think low 1.8s would be fairly easy... Maybe even 1.7s with a mild stall in it.

Lately my 60 fts are lookin about like yours(actually more like low-mid 2.0s). It has pulled a best of 1.90, and run 13.11@105.3 on a 50* evening. At the moment my tune is a little off, I think I'm too rich on the bottom end. What I really need to do is spend some time doing some test-n-tune, hopefully I can find a better setup. Biggest prob is small motor, not enough converter(only a 2600). My buddy Robert can pull mid 1.7s all day with only 308 cu in, but then he has a 4000 stall converter and 4.30 gears.

Reply #7
I'm running 2,200 stall with 3.08 gears but a lot bigger engine.  So 2.0 for 60' for does not seem like the end of the world.  Be fun to see what it would be with slicks.

Thanks for telling me that the reaction time does not effect my times, I did not know that.  But I supected it because the first run was my best et but worst RT.

Thanks for all your input.

TED

Reply #8
Ted as a FYI, I race with a guy that has a '77 4door Chevy Nova that has a 406 in it(its approx the same weight as our cars). I'm not sure what stall or gear is in it, but he pulls mid 1.7s with ease and is pissed cause he can't get enough traction to pull 1.6s. In the 1/8 he runs 7.7s which is like a 12.0-12.1 quarter. So when you get yours sorted out, low 12s high 11s should be a piece of cake.

Do you have a std ole HEI dist you can run?? I know they fall off bad at high RPMs, but won't they handle 5000??

Reply #9
I could not fit the HEI in the Cad-T-Bird because it hit the hood.

I looked at the problem again today and figured out that it hit the little stock scoops that are now under my after market scoop.  I took these out and now I have enough room.

Started right up and idles better than ever.  I also richen up the secondary jetting on the Q-Jet and I think it goes to at least 4,800 now, in fact it really falls about 5,000.  This is an big improvement over the 3,800 I had before.  I think the 5,000 limit could be float, may have to look at the spings in the future.

I will bring the jets and play with the timing on Friday night.  Thanks for your help.

TED

Reply #10
 for not getting over 4k rpms that isn't a bad time.
keep us posted you should get high 12's as you stand.
what tires are you using, radials?

Reply #11
Nitto's drag radials, 275/60/15 with 3.08 gears.  If I can get it to rev good I may try the 3.55 next year but I do like cruising with the 3.08.

The rain may screw things up for Friday night but I will see.  Serves me right to take so long to finish it and living in the rain capital of the world.

I may also pull the sway bar and soften up the front shocks this time around.  Also put the welds on the front also.  The tires for the front are 195/60/15 on seven inch wheels and I don't really like how low it sits with them.

I would be happen with mid to low 13 this time around.  It's all for fun.  At least I want to see 100 mph plus.

TED

Reply #12
I think your certain to hit 100mph your next time out. if you can get it to pull another 1000 rpms, you should be solidly in the low 13s, maybe into the 12s. I think if you just get a bunch of passes under your belt you'll have 12s easily. It's just going to take some time to learn the light and figure out the best launch and shift rpms.

Those 3.08 gears are going to hold you back some too. I think the 3.55s are a good idea. If you don't mind losing a bit more high speed cruising, you should look at 3.73 or even 4.10. You would see huge gains on the track, especially at 60ft. Of course more gear means less traction.

Anyway, what ever you do to the car is up to you. You've done a  good job so far, as far as I'm concerned. If it was mine, I'd probably just keep trying to get faster. But if you want a nice driver and just plan on doing a bit of bracket racing now and then, consistency is a lot more important than speed. I won a bracket once in my 88 Dakota V-6 with 31" mud tires. My best of the day was a 20.19 @ 67mph.

Just remember, 75% of all drag races are won at the lights, not at the traps.

Reply #13
It's Wet, Wet, Wet,

No racing today. :mad:

TED

The car I copied was a Mustang that ran 10's with Cad power.  He lost time in the quarter when he went from 3.08 to 3.55 but I think since I'm a bit more weight the 3.55 would maybe pay off.  But I don't think I would want to go any lower with this low rev engine.

Here's one of his 10 seconds runs.  Note the 2200 stall converter at take off, pure torque.
http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/38black_mustang_sm.mov