Skip to main content
Topic: took the TC out to the track ::horror story:: (Read 3924 times) previous topic - next topic

took the TC out to the track ::horror story::

well, my buddy gave me a call, seeing if i wanted to roll ot the track, my car that slight missfire, but it wasnt too bad today, so i decided to go

we get there, get in line for tech, and the car wouldnt start, took me 10 minutes to get it started, it went through tech, and i hopped in the staging lanes, shut the car off, 10 minutes later, my lane was being called

car wouldnt start, took a total shiznit on me, no signs of life...then it just fired up, ran fine....wtf, of course, my lane was already closed, so i hop in the next ones, i was gonna run once, then park it, im just about to get, one car ahead of me, they close my lane, so i open the hood, shut it off and walk away

my friend found a buddy with a GN, having the same problems i did, so we tried to help him out, he had worse luck and had to trailer it home, but after about an hour of that, i went back to my car, as i get to my car, they call me up, it fired up, someone closed my hood for me, and i staged up, spun em through the water box, rolled to the lights

so im staged, waiting, lights come up, RPMs up, 3rd yellow, clutch, BOG BOG BOG, ran up through first, fell on its face at 3,500, 2nd, fell on its face at 4K, and couldnt get much past 4K

get my slip...first time at the track, so r/t and 60ft are downright horrible...as was the whole run

r/t: 1.214
60 ft: 2.815
1/8: 13.087 @ 54.13
1/4: 20.229 @ 69.06

sadly, i cant say april fools, wish i could
It's Gumby's fault.

Re: took the TC out to the track ::horror story::

Reply #1
man, I feel bad for you , really I do. I would really want to take that in to a shop to have it looked at.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
no one around here knows anything about the cars, i talked to a ford tech of 26 years now, and he didnt know anything about it really, so im better off on my own
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #3
You need a fuel pump brother.
My car used to do exactly the same thing,would run fine then after i shut it off,no start,anywhere form 15mins to 2 hours or more but once it did fire it ran fine again.
Your pump is a little more far gone than mine was causing your lack of fuel bog at upper rpms and your boost miss as the worn pump cannot supply enough fuel for the level of boost your running(regulator increases fuel press 1 psi for every pound of boost).
Also had a similar problem with my last 5.0L bird where once the pump warmed up after a few mins of driving i would get a horrible bog when i accelerated to the point where it would only idle,shut off the car for 10mins then it would be ok for a few mins.
Replaced the pump and all was well.
If your getting a bog it is definetly fuel related and i can almost 100% gaurentee that it is your fuel pump.
Get back to me after you replace it,want to see if i was correct.

Reply #4
but in the other thread, you were 100% sure it was the ECT :p

i still do need to replace the cap and rotor, i pulled a wire off, and felt the towers move, regardless i need to do that

i want to check my fuel pressure before i touch the pump, i dont have 100 bucks to throw at a pump for it to not be the culprit
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
and the off idle bog wasnt the car, that was me not being able to launch
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
In the other thread you didn't say you had no start problems,ect will also cause a hard starting problem but not a no start.
Definetley if you have the means to check fuel pressure, do so.
Or the easiest way,when the car won't start go under the pass side and disconnect the fuel line and breifley turn the ign to the run but not start position just to prime the pump,if the fuel squirts out a few feet then at least you know your getting fuel if it only dribbles then there's your problem.
Just tryin to help you out man,past experiences i've had are the same as yours and i'm just letting you know what i did to fix them.

Reply #7
oh i know its getting fuel, i shot a 3ft stream when i did my fuel filter, but it doesnt mean its getting enough

i got a little list of things to check now, and tomorrow, im taking a break from this thing, i need some time to chill, and probably spend some time with my girl, to rest my nerves
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
You check your coil? my car had similar symptoms when I first got it. Annoying miss (replaced cap, rotor, plugd, wires) then it wouldnt start once it was warmed up, replaced the coil since it came with a spare in the trunk :rolleyes: and I've had no problems since. Well no related problems *grumble*grumble*
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
Yea put was that when the car would not start?
My car would also shoot fuel when it would start,but when it wouldn't,nothing but a dribble.

Reply #10
also, to add a little more ownage on my part, my run was agaist an LS1, a 12 second LS1, made me look evem worse
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
also, to add a little more ownage on my part, my run was agaist an LS1, a 12 second LS1, made me look evem worse

that sucks balls man. i was wondering if you went.

look at it this way..its gonna feel like a freekin rocket ship when its fixed...
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #12
5 speed Turbo Coupes are extremely hard to launch at the strip with street tires(seem to either bog or blow the tires off)... Got a time slip around here someplace with a 2.6 60ft to prove it...  That was my first TC back in '96, and only time with a real TC at the track. On the plus side it did go 86 mph on a low 16, with a good 60 it would have run a mid 15...

Reply #13
I also believe it could be the fuel pump. I would also do a full tune up, use some autolite plugs, some good wires, etc. Those cars a extremely finicky. I would start with the fuel pump, losing power under boost is a sign of the pump being bad.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #14
i just put fresh motorcraft wires on it, im going to pull the plugs when it stops raining (which are autolite 764s) and see if theyre fouled out, or not, if not, ill throw em back in, and recheck the gap

the only thing ignition wise left that i should change is the cap and rotor, its Standard brand, and a total piece of shiznit, the towers flexed as i pulled the wires, so thats another possible problem

if the plugs/cap/rotor dont solve the problem, its getting a fuel pump, and im going to make an AFPR, and my fuel system will be set untill i surpass the injectors
It's Gumby's fault.