Skip to main content
Topic: Not again (Read 3270 times) previous topic - next topic

Not again

First run at the track since I got the heads back on the car, and I broke somethin else.

The pass was great went 11.87 at 131, (was 80 degrees) but at least the tires stuck a little better ( 60 ft was a 1.92).

After the run I noticed I had a slight nock
( barely noticable over the louder than $h!t blower), so I took off the belt and it sounded like valvetrain.

Got the car home and removed the upper plenum and the valve covers.  uhhh ohhhhhhhhh!

I broke the #8 exaust rocker stud  :dunno:

So hopefully thats all I broke ( haven't had time to inspect the rest)

But at least I was told by the track official not to come back until I have a rollcage  :giggle:  :giggle:

Also had alot of people come up to me and ask if it had a big block,
and I told them no, it's just got a very large hair dryer on it :giggle:

Well I guess it's back in the garage.
1986 bird, 306, Dart heads, 550 lift cam, exp. intake, 50lbs injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, Procharger D1R blower 14lbs, 3 core intercooler, 55shot ZEX N20, tremec 5speed, 3.73 gears, auburn pro posi,headman full length headers, 3" exhaust
custom chip by 5.8FastCat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1955 bird 351w, AFR 185 Heads, 580 lift cam, D1R  Procharger 10lbs tremec 5speed, 3.92 Gears

2007 Hayabusa, R-22 pipes, K&N,  Power Commander
192hp

"Imports are like tampons, every p@$$y has one"

Re: Not again

Reply #1
I got a kick out of reading that. It would be cool if my small block could break shiznit...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
What  me off is the fact that its 80* in Cali and weve had the shiznitiest winter here in Va lol. Oh well. Good luck with the car.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #3
Yeah I hade to make a 20 mile trip at less then 20 miles an hour, which normally takes me less then 15 minutes.(faster if theres no cops out)
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #4
well hope u didn't damage anything else in the valvetrain or the motor.
I dread the frist day back at the track this year.
I know from past years that frist day is the most expensive for me.
My vote for this year is drive shaft and or tranny,
My luck  both,

Reply #5
I agree with that. You just never know whats gonna break next.
1986 bird, 306, Dart heads, 550 lift cam, exp. intake, 50lbs injectors, 76mm C&L MAF, Procharger D1R blower 14lbs, 3 core intercooler, 55shot ZEX N20, tremec 5speed, 3.73 gears, auburn pro posi,headman full length headers, 3" exhaust
custom chip by 5.8FastCat

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1955 bird 351w, AFR 185 Heads, 580 lift cam, D1R  Procharger 10lbs tremec 5speed, 3.92 Gears

2007 Hayabusa, R-22 pipes, K&N,  Power Commander
192hp

"Imports are like tampons, every p@$$y has one"

Reply #6
I had a probe tranny went out like 3 times.. did a 5 speed swap, drove it and all the oil leaked out the back valve cover... blew it up real good, then fixed it, and it spun another bearing.  Fixed it. then bought another t-bird.  and then i fixed it too!

Edit:  it was a probe GT. v6 dohc.  And i was racing it, doing like 120 when i spun the bearing.  Lost to a Honda cause my ford broke down!!!!!!!!!!  But the car was cursed from the start.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics