Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel gauge not working! (Read 4428 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #15
Quote from: softtouch;364468
Yeah I hear you. There is confusion in the dospoogeentation.
But if you have three buttstuffog gauges (non-electronic) they all use the same power source.

I think the Tech writers could not keep up with the changes.

OK, thanks for the help.
Guess I'll just keep looking for a new sending unit.

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #16
I don't know if its worth looking at or trying but i was looking on ebay at the universal unit......I never experimented with them so i wouldn't know....:confused:  http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=fuel+level+sender&_sacat=6030&Model%2520Year=1986|1985|1984|1983&Model=Cougar&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&Make=Mercury&_odkw=fuel+level+sensor&_osacat=6030&bkBtn=&_trksid=p4506.m270.l1311

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #17
If you want to do a little trouble shooting:
In the trunk under the rear window package tray.
Find a two terminal gray connector with a yellow/white stripe wire and a black wire.
One side of connector, the wires go to the sender in the tank.
The other side of the connector the wires go to the fuel gauge (yellow) and ground (black).
Unplug the connector and jumper the yellow and black wires together on the side going to the fuel gauge. (It won't hurt anything if you guess wrong on which side is which)
Turn the ignition switch to RUN and the fuel gauge should peg to the full side.
Just leave the ignition on long enough to confirm the gauge works.

On the side of the connector going to the sender, check the resistance between the yellow and black wire.
The specs for the sender are:
60 to 86 ohms empty
8 to 12 ohms full

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #18
Looks like the 85 has no fuse but a 8.5 OHM resistor. Their is a circuit change according to ALL DATA.

Ford discourages shorting the wires together without resistance. Could burn out the gauge. Uuse a test light which is app 10 OHMS. I have the ford variable test BOX that is calibrated for the tank units. A trip to radio shack can get you a variable POT and you can use that. You will need something like 0-100 OHMS. Good luck
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #19
Quote from: dustytheredneck;364472
I don't know if its worth looking at or trying but i was looking on ebay at the universal unit......I never experimented with them so i wouldn't know....:confused:

I would try the sender Tom posted first
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #20
Quote from: daminc;364480
I would try the sender Tom posted first

Those low OHM units are hard to find. But you can use the Bronco 2 and i think that can be modified to work. Their is no other option the sender is OBSOLETE. I have 2 left and i am going to hold on to them. The midnighter has a bad one i will be changing this weekend. Good luck on your FIX
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #22
Quote from: TOM Renzo;364479
Looks like the 85 has no fuse but a 8.5 OHM resistor. Their is a circuit change according to ALL DATA.

Ford discourages shorting the wires together without resistance. Could burn out the gauge.

The 85 EVTM shows the 8.5 ohm resister wire between the ignition switch and the IVR.
The 84 has no resister and has the same specs 8 to 12 ohms full for the sender.
So I figured there was enough current limiting with the resister wire.
But you are correct, to be 100% safe you should use some kind of resister for testing.

These gauges are heavily dampened and move slow. You can probably turn the ignition off before it reaches pegged.

Fuel gauge not working!

Reply #23
might as well pull this old thread into the mix so its up near the top again,,
completely applicable to the problem but i am very interested in the 84/85 changes.  Ford is terrible for dospoogeentation errors or just plain year to year changes.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?22137-fuel-sending-unit/page5