Skip to main content
Topic: '83 Bird with 5.0 HO and 4 Wheel Disks (Read 666 times) previous topic - next topic

'83 Bird with 5.0 HO and 4 Wheel Disks

Hi,

I am selling my '83 T-bird Heritage.  The car has been in my family since '86 and originally had a 3.8 V6.  My dad and I installed a '85 5.0 HO from a Mustang and an 8.8 (3.55 gears) rear end from an '87 Turbo Coupe in 1989.  The trans is an auto overdrive from an '87 5.0 Bird.  I drove the car for 4 years as a daily driver.

The conversion looks factory but does NOT include any emission control devices as they were not required in those days where I live.

Current condition:  the car is rust free except for some bubbles the size of a silver dollar on the passenger side door and bubble the size of the tip of your finger by the rear window.  Some of the side molding has fallen off, but I have the molding and it can be reattached.  The under carriage is solid.  The interior is very good with original seats (no rips).  The carpet has some stains that can be hidden under the floor mats.  The headliner is sagging.  The dash is NOT cracked.  The car has been in inside storage for the past 16 years.  It runs pretty good, the trans shifts fine, and the brakes work but the car is not street legal at this time.  Because it was in storage, the A/C and heater do not work.  The power windows, locks, seat, digital dash, and radio all seem to work.  The car is very fast but was not abused.

This car was bought new in Georgia but spend almost all its life in Texas.  I hate to sell it but i have too many projects.

Asking price is $2500.

Reply #1
What makes it not street legal?
1988 Turbo Coupe

Coming soon to NMRA Drag Radial... :burnout:

Reply #2
How many miles are on it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
Quote from: silvercv2002;257023
What makes it not street legal?

Think he was just talking about the tags
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #4
The car has 108K miles.  The engine had about 25K on it when i did the conversion and I put about 50K on it myself, so i would estimate about 75K on the engine and transmission.

The car is not licensed or inspected nor would it pass an inspection without the emission control devices in my area.  Also, keep in mind the car has been stored for 15 years which does result in deterioration of things.  If one were to put it on the road in its present condition, I cannot guaranty that there wouldn't be problems.  I also can't guaranty the engine doesn't need work but it does run ok and I drove the car around the block last week.

Dave

Considering Parting Out

Reply #5
Hey guys,

I put car on Ebay for $1500 and got no takers.  I'm considering removing the engine and trans and selling the rolling body for $600.  Anyone interested?

Dave

Reply #6
Just FYI, in Texas once your car is 25 years old you dont go through the emissions test anymore. All you have to pass is the safety inspection. I'm counting the days till 2011 for my 86 because I live in the DFW area :)

That 83 could be legal with a carburated 460 swapped in as long as your windshield wipers work, lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 5.0 Turbocoupe (Katrina), 87 5.0 Sport (Rita)