Skip to main content
Topic: New system for the 5.0 turbocoupe (Read 6102 times) previous topic - next topic

New system for the 5.0 turbocoupe

I finally got my parts together for the carpc in the 'bird. I've been lurking over at mp3car.com for a year, and think I have a handle on what I need.

I see myself using the PC for Megasquirt and Baumann display / tuning and listening to music (of course!) along with nav and hopefully handsfree phone. (The phone part looks a bit dicey from what I'm reading in the forums.)

That said, here's the stuff I have acquired:

FOXCONN R30-D2 D510 51S based barebone ($105 including case and PS)

Selected this one for it's 2 serial ports and ps/2 mouse/keyboard to free up USB (supports 8 USB)

MEMORY 2G CRUCIAL CT25664AA800 $35.00
Approved by Foxconn for this MB

Random HDD for now until I can afford a Mushkin SSD  $48.00

Random ps/2 keyboard  $10.00

Windows 7 pro  $40.00 (3 license deal)

Mo-Co-So  Mini Touch 700 7" VGA Touch Screen Monitor  $175.00

Mo-Co-So  M2-ATX 160 Watt Intelligent Power Supply  $65.00

Chinese 25w 12v-5v DC-DC converter and 2- 5v Dynex B4port powered USB hubs (500ma each port)  $25.00 + $22.00

BLUETOOTH ASUS USB-BT211 (Came free with 1/2 height PCI wireless card)

WIRELESS LAN EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI  $20.00

EXT DVD BURNER ROSEWILL ROD-EX001  $35.00

ADESSO GP-410PB TOUCHPAD (ps/2) (Will mount in console in front of armrest)
$35.00

DIRECTED HD w/ MITCH's CABLE  $110.00

For sound I just have some Polk DB5251 5-1/4 speakers for the doors (from a previous purchase) and a pair of tweeters that came with them. I am not too picky about sound so haven't done much on it yet. I want to see how I like the output from the onboard sound before I finalize that part. I do plan on a low-mid end amp and sub, though. Looking for suggestions here.

I plan to use Riderunner software frontend (with voice if W7 gets supported). I'll get a Andrea Superbeam USB mic when that day comes, or if I decide I can integrate my phone.

Need to buy a GPS receiver yet. I can use Mymobiler and my ATT Tilt for now until I get one. The Tilt can supply an internet connection for when I am out of wireless range.

I'm working on the power scheme, and where to ideally mount the parts to work the best.

I want to let the M2 power supply fire a relay for 12v to the 5v converter and monitor brick. I am using the 5v converter to keep the load off the M2. I also plan to include a PC power switch to override the M2 for cold weather and/or short trips. Wiring it this way will keep all the temperature sensitive stuff off until the car can warm up.

More details and pics to come. If you have any questions or comments, fire away!

Reply #1
Wow I feel old and dumb , I read this post twice and I have absolutely no idea what it actually says:wtf::confused:
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
OK, that was a firehose blast I guess. LOL

Here's what I'm doing.

Carpc install in my 88 turbocoupe. The list above is all the hardware and software bits I'm using.

In short, picture a 7" touchscreen flush mounted in-dash above the heater controls. A notebook-style touchpad with 4 buttons mounted in place of the ashtray for a mouse. The PC mounted under the parcel shelf. A small keyboard under the seat to pull out when necessary.

The car has a 5.0 and single Holset vgt turbo, so I'm using Megasquirt with EDIS for spark and fuel control. That interfaces to the PC via a serial port.  I can display the gauges while driving or use the touchscreen/ keyboard for tuning.

The trans is a 4R70W and it's controlled with a Baumann TCS computer. It interfaces via serial also. I can display and tune it in-car as well.

I'm removing the old premium sound headunit and EQ and using a Directed sound AM/FM/HD radio ported into computer via USB and out through the sound card into amp/amps and on to the speakesrs. All radio functions controlled via the software, or 'frontend'. It's what you see when the computer boots up, like your desktop.

I'll mount a charging station to my dash for my smartphone, which will in turn connect to the PC for internet, GPS and to make handsfree calls ported over the car's speakers. (hopefully)

The rest of the stuff is to get clean regulated DC to the computer and the USB devices.

Hope that makes more sense now.

I got the PC fired up on the bench and it works great initially!  Now to finish the car wiring and get this thing put together.

Reply #3
Much better thank you :)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #4
You are welcome!

I got the frontend software loaded last night and paired my phone over bluetooth. Working on the battery relocation and trunk power wiring today.

Reply #5
Quote from: hypostang;342273
Wow I feel old and dumb , I read this post twice and I have absolutely no idea what it actually says:wtf::confused:

You're not alone.... Seems like a lot of work to have a PC in your car when everyone has one in their phone nowadays.....
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #6
Quote from: BadTriumph;342389
You're not alone.... Seems like a lot of work to have a PC in your car when everyone has one in their phone nowadays.....

huh pc in you phone ya maybe but i would like to see you put 500gig's of music and live music videos files on it lol ;)
unless you like mp3's i dont:yuck:

i have a pc in my car it's quite small and very powerfull and i installed it in my factory cd changer case.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?28643-installing-the-system-in-the-mark-8&highlight=

i did need any adapters to power anything.
the pc drains less then 10amps more like 5-6 max..
the M4ATX has more then enough ba!!s to power just about anything.
and i can go on the internet in my car. gives a new meaning to downloading on the fly. lol and i just got updated to 4G on my air card
and i use a wireless thumb pad with a track ball
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6077544&CatId=1482

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #7
Quote from: BadTriumph;342389

You know, that is VERY true, except for the fact that I need glasses to see my phone. :punchballs: With Mymobiler I can actually display and control my phone with the touchpad over the monitor. Really it's one more reason for me to have it.

Hey Blown306Cougar! Does your NM10 display at 800x480?

Reply #8
Quote from: flylear45;342441
Hey Blown306Cougar! Does your NM10 display at 800x480?

i don't believe VGA on the motherboard does must likely it does'nt go lower then 800X600 but i have'nt checked..
the monitor is a 7" USB monitor and comes with display link software to run it.
http://www.mimomonitors.com/

the resolution is very clean it's like looking at a monitor at like 1366X768 or so but in a 7" package.

the only thing is i can't access the bios with it since it only comes on just as windows is booting up.
it is the main monitor in the system.
i was thinking of  installing a monitor in the trunk connected to the VGA so that if i need to do some work on the computer bios i will be able to do so.
i do have a 16" lcd that is ran off of 12volts dc it can with a ac to dc converter to plug into the wall out let. it might find it's way into the car soon.

Nick
there's only about a half a dozen man made objects that are herd by the human ear below 40Hz,a pipe organ,thunder,the space shuttle lifting off,a jet airplane taking off or landing,a large canon,an atomic bomb ignited in your back yard and the heat wave afterward oh wait you would be dead so you would'nt hear it scratch that!,and maybe beating your hear against a wall less then 40 times a second..rap music is'nt one of them!thats 40-60Hz@100+db the moving air is under 40Hz

Reply #9
I've have been mulling over building a carputer for my WRX for some time now for a permanent engine monitoring/tuning/entertainment solution. For a daily driver, I just can't seem to get over the waiting on Win7 to boot every time I fire up the engine (or someone smashing my windows for it - oh the irony). Even with SSD, it boots pretty  fast, but not that fast (meaning anything other instant - yes, I am that impatient! LOL!). Then again, I'm probably just being petty. And lazy. Or both.

Also, what are the best solutions to avoid a non-cold start situation. It is cold here like... forever. I know they make smart PSUs to avoid such a situation but my gut tells me I should hedge my bets. My commute isn't too short (~20 miles) but with kids involved, you can't take too many chances.
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #10
with out taking everything apart here are a few pictures of the carputer in my lincoln..
XXX

Reply #11
two more

Reply #12
Quote from: Ether947;342451
I've have been mulling over building a carputer for my WRX for some time now for a permanent engine monitoring/tuning/entertainment solution. For a daily driver, I just can't seem to get over the waiting on Win7 to boot every time I fire up the engine (or someone smashing my windows for it - oh the irony). Even with SSD, it boots pretty  fast, but not that fast (meaning anything other instant - yes, I am that impatient! LOL!). Then again, I'm probably just being petty. And lazy. Or both.

Also, what are the best solutions to avoid a non-cold start situation. It is cold here like... forever. I know they make smart PSUs to avoid such a situation but my gut tells me I should hedge my bets. My commute isn't too short (~20 miles) but with kids involved, you can't take too many chances.

WELL,

I don't have real experience with it yet, but looking at the component ratings they are NOT made for an automotive environment. I have a heated garage, but on the days I come back from a trip to a cold soaked car I expect the entertainment just won't work for a while. In fact I plan to install a shutoff switch until I can wire in a temperature monitoring switch so it won't even try to come online until it is above , say, 30 degrees. I can listen to the engine that long. For that reason I am mounting the PC against the back seats to get cabin warmth/ cooling. I intend to use the rear deck speaker holes for a circulating fan to keep conditioned air moving around the PC.

Other things people do is to wire the PC to a remote's function to start it before they get in the car. You'd need a second small battery to draw from for the time you are cranking the car. At least I would do it that way.

As far as the theft issue, yeah.  I am going to make a false face to put over the monitor if I am somewhere iffy. With a nice 'bird emblem on it of course! Nothing else will really show.

My engine management and tranny computers are made for the automobile and are specced with more robust hardware. My Megasquirted cars have never quit on me, and I have had one in all my DD's for years. I was one of the first group buy guys when MS was a mailing list. The Baumann stuff has a pedigree as well.

Reply #13
That is very clever and neat BlownCouger! Where exactly is that? A trunk? I am not familiar with the Lincoln.

Reply #14
Quote from: flylear45;342463
That is very clever and neat BlownCouger! Where exactly is that? A trunk? I am not familiar with the Lincoln.

yes that is the trunk and that is the factory cd changer in the factory location ;)

Quote from: flylear45;342463
BlownCouger!

:laughing:

you typed BlownCouger

EEEEEE :rollin:

it's an old joke and it's all on me

Nick