Skip to main content
Topic: Fox Conti's (Read 2129 times) previous topic - next topic

Fox Conti's

Anyone have one, or know much about them? I want to check out this 86 Givenchy, and wondering if it has airbag suspension and/or ABS.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Fox Conti's

Reply #1
Every one I've seen was sitting on the bump stops, so I'm pretty sure they had air ride. Dunno about ABS, but probably since they were essentially a 4-door Mark VII
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Fox Conti's

Reply #2
Personally, I think the Fox ones are hideous. People think I'm nuts but I think the 88-94 was a much better looking car, drive train otoh, complete !
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Fox Conti's

Reply #3
I had a 1984 Continental hardtop with the 5.0 CFI motor.  All electronic with lots of bell and whistles!  That car was very comfortable but started having problems with air ride and the steering rack lost power assist to one side of the rack.  I got it with 194k miles and it ran great for a CFI motor, I unloaded it with around 210K miles. 

These were availble till 1987, only came with either a 4cylinder diesel and the 5.0 V8 in either CFI or SEFI; only Standard Output motors (302 firing order).  I would love to have another one, with low miles and preferabbly the SEFI motor and convert to HO.

ABS pumps  and air ride can be very expensive to fix for these cars along with the digital dash and trip computer/automatic temperature control.  One cool feature is the 1/4 windows in the front doors are power and roll down before the big window goes down if I recall.  They definitely have that fox chassis feel to them.

Fox Conti's

Reply #4
If assume they use the same teves abs set up. I've been working on a jig to bench test complete set ups. Especially since almost every part is obsolete. Right now I have more of these setups than I can count.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Fox Conti's

Reply #5
yeah, I'm gonna pass on that Conti, both because of the seller's poor/late communication and my total disdain of integrated ABS systems, I do NOT trust them at all. I've been lucky, the 4 vehicles I've had with ABS have all been non-integrated "add-on" systems. Although, I knew someone with a vehicle that had a integrated ABS system and that a PO removed it and put in a conventional non-ABS master cyl & booster, which a lot of people say is a big No-No as well.

Fox Conti's

Reply #6
Lots of people swap the abs system out for a conventional booster setup in the supercoupes with no issues.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Fox Conti's

Reply #7
Being a fox chassis, there can be lots of things done with lots of donors available.  Sn95, fox mustang, coil spring conversion etc.  I'd be excited to find a good one and have the money.  My abs never caused me problems in my old Continental with 200k miles.

Fox Conti's

Reply #8
Quote from: beast50;424342
I had a 1984 Continental hardtop with the 5.0 CFI motor.  All electronic with lots of bell and whistles!  That car was very comfortable but started having problems with air ride and the steering rack lost power assist to one side of the rack.  I got it with 194k miles and it ran great for a CFI motor, I unloaded it with around 210K miles. 

These were availble till 1987, only came with either a 4cylinder diesel and the 5.0 V8 in either CFI or SEFI; only Standard Output motors (302 firing order).  I would love to have another one, with low miles and preferabbly the SEFI motor and convert to HO.

ABS pumps  and air ride can be very expensive to fix for these cars along with the digital dash and trip computer/automatic temperature control.  One cool feature is the 1/4 windows in the front doors are power and roll down before the big window goes down if I recall.  They definitely have that fox chassis feel to them.

wrong, the BMW diesel engine used on the mark Vll was a 2.4 liter SIX cylinder engine
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

yeah though i drive through the valley of rice

i shall fear no turbo for torque art with me

thy rod and thy piston they comfort me

Fox Conti's

Reply #9
Yeah, turbo diesel only available on 84-85 Continentals & Mark VII's.