Skip to main content
Topic: 85 5l with cfi convert to mpfi with same pump? (Read 1324 times) previous topic - next topic

85 5l with cfi convert to mpfi with same pump?

My bird has a 5l with the cfi system in it. If i go with the ho top end can i keep the fuel pump thats in the tank now or will i have to swap it out?

Reply #1
the stock pump should do just fine, unless you are going for a big increase in power over the stock engine.
64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis

yeah though i drive through the valley of rice

i shall fear no turbo for torque art with me

thy rod and thy piston they comfort me

Reply #2
Does your car have the low pressure pump in the tank and the booster pump on the frame rail near the rear of the car?  If so then you will need to change the in tank pump for sure.  If you already have the high pressure stand alone pump in the tank the other question you may want to ask is how old your pump is and maybe its time for some preventative maintenance rather than towing the car home at some point and changing it then.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
I agree with aero it's good insurance to upgrade. another question what size injectors do you have if they are off of the HO they should b 19# I'm not sure if they work with SO engines guys chime in at any time I may b wrong
I wish I had a faster car.:toilet:

Reply #4
Research will help a lot coolcats.net mustang forums and our archives, figure goals vs budget and go from there.
I wish I had a faster car.:toilet:

Reply #5
have not ben on the computer in a while sorry
ill look in to colcats i beleave its the high presure pump 42 psi i think. It has the stock cfi with 2 fuel injectures in it not sure the size injector
seems to hold the car back wuit a bit