Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pumps!! (Read 2034 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pumps!!

Just aquestion and a talking point. How many miles or years do you think a fuel pump LIVES. My explorer has 130 on it and it is a 98.  I am going to change out the pump this weekend hopefully and just because of the mileage and age. Comments gentlemen  !!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #1
if that was a gm suv if would have failed by now lol either the pump or fuel gauge

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #2
Red cougar has 140k, It's an '87. Had the fuel tank down at one point to possibly pull the pump, the locking collar was rusty enough that I didn't even bust out the PB Blaster and try to do anything with it. Figured I'd take my chances with more motor and THEN if it fell on its face, deal with the car being down a few days if I had to do a better pump LOL. Put the H.O. top end, 19 lb/hr injectors, was fine. Now have GT40 heads, same injectors, can still do whatever I want. Only NOW if it yanks hard to one side or something and I only have 3-4 gallons, it will actually run away from the pickup and just drop dead for a second. Before with a stock converter and the H.O. setup, even with the digi-dash saying "E", it wasn't quick enough to loose fuel!

Daily '87 'Vic, 131K, looking at things it sure seems like that tank has never moved, pump still great.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #3
I've got 152K on the stock pump in a 91 Lincoln Mark VII. Works fine.

Zonda I've got the fuel slosh issue with my Thunderbird. If I go WOT with less than 1/2 tank in my Thunderbird the fuel sloshes away from the pickup and the car stalls untill it noses over and the fuel comes back to the pickup. I've learned to treat 1/2 tank as empty, at least if I wanna go fast :hick:.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #4
If we're talking pumps in general, I had a 90 Aerostar with 320,000+ km on it, sold it to a friend when my dog died (it was his canine limousine) 6yrs ago and it's still running.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #5
Interesting as i would think a pump would not last to long. In general we change out pumps around 120K then again some go for 200K , Like i said i just wanted feed back and it is interesting how many have pumps that last so long. We used to change a lot of pumps that failed but not to many any more. They may have changed the pump design. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #6
Old Tbird made it just shy of 200,000 and 24 yrs old before dieing. My truck made it about 260,000 miles and 10 years. The only way I replace a pump before it actually starts to fail is if Im upgrading!!

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #7
I had two go out last year- My 85 XR-7 @ 51k miles, and my Astro van @ 220k miles. The astro had a plastic hanger that broke, and turned the job from a $90 pump to a $260 whole assembly. Ouch!

Funny, around that time, my boss' fuel pump went out in his Audi, and my co-worker had his die in his ranger. We all live in the same area, we wondered if some gas station had bad gas and wrecked all of our pumps. What are the odds that 4 vehicles, all different makes, ages, and mileages all go out the same week.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #8
your right, my wifes, 05 yukon, faild sending unit or gauge, and the oil pressure gauge is acting up.
Quote from: fourplaymotorsports;423940
if that was a gm suv if would have failed by now lol either the pump or fuel gauge

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #9
I always thought that fuel pumps, generally last the life of the vehicle, the only time I've ever seen/heard of them failing is people that drive around on E all the time. Fuel pumps much like garbage disposers require liquid to keep them cool and happy.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #10
my bird died on my buddy before I bought it from him at 187k miles. took it to a shop and they said bad pump. we threw a walbro pump in (after a faulty airtek new in the box) and I'm sitting about 235-240k on the odometer since November when I bought the car from him.

out of all the foxes I've owned (7 or 8 now) not one has lost a fuel pump under my ownership. maybe I've just gotten lucky and they've all already been replaced.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #11
Well so much for pumps. But i am a believer that letting the fuel get low is an issue for sure. As the matter of fact i never shut off my engine while fueling. We had that discussion a few years ago and i absolutely think there is truth to that. Ok so you guys had good luck with pumps. That is great. So tomorrow i am getting out the Wizzer wheel and removing the rear drivers jump seat and cutting the floor to access the pump and change it out. Will post photos. There is no way i am going to drop that tank. just cant see the necessity. Thanks guys!!

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #12
I know the GM's have a bad rap for pumps

I have 96 Silverado, had it since 97'.. Put a pump in it just a year ago with 160K on it.
Wifes 2000 Suburban, bought in 03'... Still original pump and running strong when I traded it in, 140K

I always change the fuel filters very regularly(more than needed).  My wife always runs that  thing till "low fuel" illuminates.  Ive told her time and time again!!!

My 88 cougar, died of a fuel pump 3 yrs ago.  120K.  Im unsure of the previous owners habits though, bought it with 114K.  Put a 190 Walbro in it, I expect a very long life. 

I also think that  Ethanol is some to blame, non lubricating and draws moisture.  I use some Seafoam or MMO in the tank to lubricate and help out.  Works for me, so kiss my ass.:shakeass::shakeass::shakeass::shakeass:
Mike

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #13
The ethanol dries out the small section of rubber hose that goes between the pump and the where it plumbs into the assembly.  That's one thing to look at when you take out the old pump.  It's a good idea to make sure the code on the EFI fuel line is up to date to resist the ethanol.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_1101_performance_fuel_hoses/viewall.html

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #14
Ok 82 you brought up something i was looking for and have had experience with. First off i change out more domestic pumps than foreign pumps. Example GM Ford and Chrysler pumps do not last s long. Why beats me!! But then again most European cars use Walbro pumps from the factory. Can not figure that out because i do a lot of premature pump replacements in SAABS. They in fact come from the factory with Walbro pumps. So what is the defining issue with failures??? I dont know to be honest. But running the tank down to fuel warning light is not GOOD!!! I tell my wife that all the time. Never run down past 1/4 tank as specified by most manufacturers now. Must be something to that. In tech school i go periodically to meet with Vendors and they claim full fill shock on a pump is number one for failing pumps. Another words filling a low tank. Or filling a tank with the engine off!! As far as fuel filters go new cars do not have them only tank SOCKS so that is a moot thing!!! And all the old style submersible RU 9&10 connector hose is not used any more. The new daxtron nylon hose completely eliminated connector hose failures. So be it as it may i replace pumps at set intervals such as age and or mileage!! So i replace the pumps before failure. I really do not like my cars hooked or on top of a flat bed. Looks bad as a car GUY!!!

Note See Foam  Is loaded with alcohol so i do not understand how it lubricates. We used to put marvel oil in the tank for valve lube and it also lubes the FUEL PUMP. So no ASS kissing!! Just a real good discussion.