Skip to main content
Topic: GST cougars (Read 6664 times) previous topic - next topic

GST cougars

There was some talk of these cars in the "LEADS" section.  I had never heard of them, so it sorta sparked my interest.

I found this brochure on ebay.  Pretty interesting piece of Cougar history.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1988-Mercury-Cougar-Stauffer-GST-Euro-Brochure_W0QQitemZ320296998513QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320296998513&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Mike

GST cougars

Reply #2
im pretty sure mine was a GST, im not sure to be honest. its pretty much just a body kit so its hard to tell if it was a true dealer option or added on later. its nothing special. no real performance upgrades
1988 Thunderbird sport
2004 Ford F150 Lariat
2008  Chevrolet Cobalt Sport
2007 Suzuki DR-Z400S dual sport/Supermoto
1988 Thunderbird LX - sold
1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 with GST kit - gone

GST cougars

Reply #3
i really wish i could find one of those kits! thinking of making my own,,,
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

GST cougars

Reply #4
There was a guy that joined the board, that supposedly has the molds for the GST kit and thought about doing a small run of them...search in the Appearance section of the site for more info. No word on if that ever came to fruition.

If you follow the eBay auction link, you'll see the brochure for the GST kit as-new in 1987-88. The kit consisted of the air dam, side skirts, rear valance, decklid spoiler and Monza-style exhaust tips. I think the BBS-style lacy wheels might have been an extra option. Dealerships and individuals alike could order the kit from GST Stauffer. It was all appearance, no performance, but possibly one of the coolest kits available for these cars.

GST cougars

Reply #5
Quote from: EricCoolCats;235594
There was a guy that joined the board, that supposedly has the molds for the GST kit and thought about doing a small run of them...search in the Appearance section of the site for more info. No word on if that ever came to fruition.

If you follow the eBay auction link, you'll see the brochure for the GST kit as-new in 1987-88. The kit consisted of the air dam, side skirts, rear valance, decklid spoiler and Monza-style exhaust tips. I think the BBS-style lacy wheels might have been an extra option. Dealerships and individuals alike could order the kit from GST Stauffer. It was all appearance, no performance, but possibly one of the coolest kits available for these cars.

this thread I guess, looks like this guy disappeared
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17030&highlight=GST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1988 cougar GST/Blacknight2

Reply #6
Quote from: Bob;235613
this thread I guess, looks like this guy disappeared
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=17030&highlight=GST

I have a 1988 cougar GST/Blacknight2. The only difference in cougars is options. Mine has the police interceptor 5.0 with digital dash and every other option you can think of. Like a few are keyless entry, power moon roof with shade, ac, cc, am/fm cassette with stock amp and graphic eq, Auto dim headlights, leather 6 way power seats with lower leg support it's an option I have never seen before, pw, pl, pw mirrors auto dim rear view mirror. And many more options. Bought the car for my sons 16th birthday and he drove it for about a month and wanted a truck instead. So I traded my truck for the car. If you would like me to post or send pics let me know. I can tell you it's fast. My son and I took it to drags trip and did 11.5 in 1/4 mile needing a tuneup.

GST cougars

Reply #7
Quote from: Ragtop1997;424376
I have a 1988 cougar GST/Blacknight2. The only difference in cougars is options. Mine has the police interceptor 5.0 with digital dash and every other option you can think of. Like a few are keyless entry, power moon roof with shade, ac, cc, am/fm cassette with stock amp and graphic eq, Auto dim headlights, leather 6 way power seats with lower leg support it's an option I have never seen before, pw, pl, pw mirrors auto dim rear view mirror. And many more options. Bought the car for my sons 16th birthday and he drove it for about a month and wanted a truck instead. So I traded my truck for the car. If you would like me to post or send pics let me know. I can tell you it's fast. My son and I took it to drags trip and did 11.5 in 1/4 mile needing a tuneup.

The v8 fox-body Cougar/Thunderbird came from the factory with Standard Output 5.0L 302.  They never made anymore horsepower than 155or so with dual exhaust,stock.  Your's might have had some upgrades done before you got it.

GST cougars

Reply #8
11.5 is a lot faster than a bolt on car

GST cougars

Reply #9
Quote from: Ragtop1997;424376
Dang, I got the bullet proof door inserts out of a Police Interceptor once. And the chip too. Made my car so much faster and stiffer.

GST cougars

Reply #10
To be brutally honest, the only thing "Police Interceptor" about the 5.0 was for extended maintenance, it had jack squat to do with making more power. The PI engines simply had oil coolers, p/s coolers, blue silicon rad hoses, and a few other small doodads to help them stay cooler at high pursuit speeds. If you think they were some mythical firebreathing option that instantly transformed a 5.0 into a 500 horsepower Ferrari slayer....you fail.

I may be wrong, but I think the last true PI engine was sometime in the 70's, or very early 80's..as far as having different internals than the "standard" same-displacement engine.

The SSP Mustangs, the PI Crown Vic's...etc....all have the same engine internally as any other 5.0 Stang/Crown Vic, respectively.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

GST cougars

Reply #12
No upgrades have been done to it it was driven buy a older lady. I know the car is fast and a stock mustang gt gets a whooping buy this cougar lol? It's a fun car to drive. Going to have it completely redone next spring

GST cougars

Reply #13
then that old lady hot rodded it out. no way any stock 1980's ford is pulling 11 second 1/4 miles.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

GST cougars

Reply #14
Wow and to think I spent a ton of cash on my 93 Stang LX to go 10.80's. Guess I shoulda saved my cash and bought a stock SO car
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra