Skip to main content
Topic: Brand new member - looking for advice on an upcoming purchase. (Read 7278 times) previous topic - next topic

Brand new member - looking for advice on an upcoming purchase.

Reply #45
I'd have to agree. The car had problems, that are easy/cheap to correct, but for $5500 you shouldn't have to correct some of those issues. Now for $3500-4000 it would have been worth it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #46
Mike,

You make good points.  But so do the other two posters behind you.  Just to clarify a bit:

The fuel filter - the general dingy appearance coupled with "Motorcraft E7XX-XXXXX-XX" told me all I needed to see. An aftermarket Motorcraft filter normally carries a Motorcraft P/N, not a Ford P/N.
The transmission clutch material - when I wipe a dipstick on a white cloth, and get a dark black streak....that's too much clutch material floating around.  I already know to expect a nice little pile in the pan.
AOD bushing recall not done - What else did they neglect?  This car was supposed to be owned by a VERY meticulous old man. 
Transmission pan seeping - yeah, it's minor.  But I also went to FULLY inspect the car. 
Front main seeping - I'm not adverse to turning a wrench, but this is not acceptable to me at this price point.
Rear main seeping - I'm not pulling an engine or a trans on a car THIS high over market value to fix this.
Struts and steering rack knocking/expiring - This shows a general lack of maintenance, and that is concerning, once again, for a car that was "meticulously maintained".

As best I can determine, that car is worth somewhere in the $3700 neighborhood.  At almost two grand higher, I expected better maintenance, and less labor intensive issues to sort at that price point, lest we forget some of the other issues I found - like the interior issues.  If I had to throw a dart, I'd say, all in, with everything fixed, including the interior you're talking another couple grand.  I also wasn't certain it would even make the trip back to Wichita on the tires it was wearing, or the coolant in it. 

Also, I posted all of that just in case someone else runs across this car, hopefully, they find this thread, and can review my inspection to help their buying decision....it is on that basis, I left out NOTHING. 

Tim
2003 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - For now!

Reply #47
Quote from: Zorin;463277
Mike,

You make good points.  But so do the other two posters behind you.  Just to clarify a bit:

The fuel filter - the general dingy appearance coupled with "Motorcraft E7XX-XXXXX-XX" told me all I needed to see. An aftermarket Motorcraft filter normally carries a Motorcraft P/N, not a Ford P/N.
The transmission clutch material - when I wipe a dipstick on a white cloth, and get a dark black streak....that's too much clutch material floating around.  I already know to expect a nice little pile in the pan.
AOD bushing recall not done - What else did they neglect?  This car was supposed to be owned by a VERY meticulous old man. 
Transmission pan seeping - yeah, it's minor.  But I also went to FULLY inspect the car. 
Front main seeping - I'm not adverse to turning a wrench, but this is not acceptable to me at this price point.
Rear main seeping - I'm not pulling an engine or a trans on a car THIS high over market value to fix this.
Struts and steering rack knocking/expiring - This shows a general lack of maintenance, and that is concerning, once again, for a car that was "meticulously maintained".

As best I can determine, that car is worth somewhere in the $3700 neighborhood.  At almost two grand higher, I expected better maintenance, and less labor intensive issues to sort at that price point, lest we forget some of the other issues I found - like the interior issues.  If I had to throw a dart, I'd say, all in, with everything fixed, including the interior you're talking another couple grand.  I also wasn't certain it would even make the trip back to Wichita on the tires it was wearing, or the coolant in it. 

Also, I posted all of that just in case someone else runs across this car, hopefully, they find this thread, and can review my inspection to help their buying decision....it is on that basis, I left out NOTHING. 

Tim

If your looking for a clean car your best bet is to get one from a desert state.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Reply #48
Quote from: Zorin;463277
Mike,

Tim

I agree with you.  For that price, that car should have been very well kept up, clean wise and service hx wise.  I was hoping it would turn out nice and someone would get it that could appreciate and take care of it.  I love that color combo.

I think it is down to $4500 now.
Mike