Skip to main content
Topic: what k member (Read 1458 times) previous topic - next topic

what k member

Hello

Im toying with the idea of removing the 2.3t and going 5.0/5.8 turbo in my 86 XR7. 

Just getting my facts straight.  Do I need a k member from 86-88 fox tbird/cougar?

Thanks,

Travis

Not really looking to use a tubular K member.  Keeping costs down.

what k member

Reply #1
No need to change k member just change mounts
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

what k member

Reply #2
ok!  i just always thought you needed to switch the k member!  i wonder why i thought that!  anybody else!

Thanks travis

what k member

Reply #3
The old Fox body Mustangs had a couple of years (80-82) that had a straight six in them which required a K-Member change to go to a four cylinder or 5.0.  Does not apply to the T-Birds or Cougars but with the similarities of the cars that notion may have carried over somewhere.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

what k member

Reply #4
I swapped mine to a mustangs just to get the aftermarket motor mounts... before chuck started making good ones for US lol....

what k member

Reply #5
My Sport has the TC crossmember in it and I have a 5.8L engine with chuck mounts.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

what k member

Reply #6
i build solid mounts for my birds with allthread and pieces of pipe for spacers... i'm a cheap redneck... solid mounts for $6 bucks...
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

what k member

Reply #7
Thanks guys for all your help.  I have decided to do the 5.0 verse 5.8.  Quite abit more stuff to change.  I really dont have the car ready for the additional power that I could get with the 5.8 vs 5.0.  So stock HO it is.  Found a nice one out of a Mark 7. 

Starting a new post on what is need for the swap.

Thanks,

Travis