Skip to main content
Topic: micro shaft updates (Read 1069 times) previous topic - next topic

micro shaft updates

. It was the 12/21/12 windows security update. Advice, dont install it, (KB2753842). It sucks monkey balls. If u see it in your updates, just right-click and hide it.

anyone else get a blue screen on the myan calander ending date?

micro shaft updates

Reply #1
I don't think I've installed a windows update since the sasser worm, and that was only because it was required at the place I worked.

I will only update on a as needed basis. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

micro shaft updates

Reply #2
No more MS updates for me ever again, they have always caused more problems for me than what they have solved.

Haven't updated Win7 since it came out, and have had no problems whatsoever.

micro shaft updates

Reply #3
I always update, 7, xp, 2000, That don't have updates any more. I never have issues!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

micro shaft updates

Reply #4
I update the shiznit out of everything, If something doesn't work right afterwards, you can always undo it. Updating and submitting bug reports for errors afterwards is what keeps good OS working properly.

Surprised some of you "computer" guys are scared of updates....the only thing I fear from micro$uck is internut exploiter.

7 is the best OS since '98, and yet all people do is piss and moan about updates...and then wonder why their OS still blows...sheesh.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

micro shaft updates

Reply #5
I worked exclusively in Win7 for a year for web development. Got burned one time by an update, but that was very early on (it was still in beta at that time). Unfortunately it required an OS reinstall and some data was lost. Beyond that, I've found Win7 to be very stable and reliable with most updates, although persistent memory leak issues prevent me from using it in a daily environment.

On the Mac side, I wait a few weeks before updating 10.8, and keep an eye on major Mac websites for issues. Right now I'm delaying the iTunes 11 update. The daily workhorse (MacBook Pro 15") is almost 5 years old and still running two OS versions back (10.6). It doesn't get many updates anymore. But sheesh, it's rock solid.

I had nothing but issues with spyware, virii, etc. with my folks' old XP machine. No matter what the guys in the office tried, nothing stopped the  from appearing again. Every 2-3 months I had to bring it to work to get cleaned up. I don't know how anyone can use XP today and get any work done, let alone feel reasonably protected.
(We solved the XP issue with a Mac mini ;) ).

micro shaft updates

Reply #6
a lot of the major virus's that still plauge windows were written into updates by former windows employee's, like the sasser worm. It is actually very common for patches and fixes to be written into updates, without any notice to the end user.

I have given up on computers as a whole. We still have quite a few computers running xp, with very few problems. They just don't do it for me anymore, considering most things work as good, or better on my cell phone. Just about the only thing I do use a computer for anymore is when I need to type something up, although I can do that and even print on my cell phone, I prefer a full sized keyboard.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

micro shaft updates

Reply #7
Ummm been using this XP Dell since I bought it new in Aug '07, no issues... (This modelwas backed specked to XP as everyone was  and moanin about Vista) I used Kapersky on it till a year ago, removed that when it expired and have been using Microsoft Security Essentials since, no problem...

Sooo I dunno what kind of game or coochie sites you guys are visiting but again I haven't had a issue and updates are automatic, it's fully up to date...

micro shaft updates

Reply #8
We're still running XP at work and it seems fine.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

micro shaft updates

Reply #9
You say you won't let your windows update?  Well, nobody else would say this but, WELCOME TO THE BOTNET LITTLE BUDDY!  "Oh my computer is just fine thanks"  It only seems that way so you won't get alarmed and scan your rig.  You sir, are probably already contributing to somebody's spam operation, or providing a hidden remote partition a pedophile can store his CP on, or contributing to Anonymous' DDoS attacks.  In short, your shiznit is probably somebody's bitch RIGHT NOW.  And anybody who knows anything knows that Mac guys aren't immune, they're just irrelevant.  There aren't enough of you to matter, so almost nobody bothers.  Every week on patch tuesday, maybe you should consider taking those updates.  Most of them are for your protection, you're stupid to not take them.

micro shaft updates

Reply #10
microshaft?  The name says it all.  You got a little screwed.

micro shaft updates

Reply #11
on my caveman machine,, running xp sp1, stopped all updates probably  5 years ago ever since microshaft said my IE was no longer able to update until i upgraded my xp so i higher service pack.  ~lack of downward compatibility.
This machine is an intel celeron 797MgHz with 192Mg ram which came i think originally with windowsME.  i think we picked it up at walmart in 2002. 
i seem to get plenty done at a good rate with this old thing.  My work pc is certainly a different animal ,, all up to date with all the goods.
keeping old stuff running and appreciating it is something i guess is a choice of mine, ive always like doing this, i really dont see the point in factoring in my earnings to pay for something about evey year minimum to combat the invisible software problems / glitches that force you back into the next best buy where someone convinces you that your two year old 1200$ investiment isnt gonna work anymore.

in light of my hatred toward a software can somehow cause someone to throw away physical stuff, i turned off my updates,, no issues here,, maleware bytes says all is good and so does clamwin.

i am an example of someone who makes due with what they have and figures out how to milk every ounce of life out of something i buy because i cant stand how much garbage genereated due to firmware/software issues.

i just think people need to "want" to spend less and want to fix what they have so it lasts longer instead of just buying all new again.  it never use to be like this, my parents generation (both born in the late 20's) had the value of a penny nailed down and so do i as do a lot of you reading this. 

i like the fact the market place is busy making better stuff but its sold off as more or less mandatory for today and the new in thing is to consider stuff a year old is garbage because mostly "the way it looks".  dont take me wrong, the folks out there who just gotta have the latest thing will always be around, ill use them and thier experinece to determine what is working and what is not.

btw, im still waiting on my new "LEAP" since i was the 4th order placed for initial release.  when i get it working on my cave man it will be amazing~!
the Leap was just something ********i had to have.

micro shaft updates

Reply #12
I operate Windows on several servers, but only as required to support a given piece of software.  Exchange, Domain Services and SQL Server come readily to mind.  For everything else, I use some flavor of Unix or Linux and if the need arises for a windows workstation, I fire one up in a virtual machine.  I can apply updates and back them out easily if I have a problem.  I can literally crash a machine and recover with little more effort than a reboot.  That being said, I have learned in my 20+ years in the IT industry to never be on the bleeding edge, especially when it comes to Windows updates.  My machines are set to notify, but not install updates, allowing me the time to research each patch and update and avoid many of the hassles that come with installing buggy updates.  This strategy has served me well for the last 15 years.

My retired Parents still run XP Pro SP3 on a couple of identical Dell workstations purchased in 1999 with whopping 10GB hard drives and 512MB of RAM. Their virus protection is of course up to date as is their hardware firewall.

micro shaft updates

Reply #13
I run a hardware and software Firewall, and scan my system weekly. Trust me, I'm good here. Never even once have I had a virus on my PC, unless I downloaded and opened a exe/zip/rar file first. I've learned my lesson there though.

All my valuable personal/business data is stored onto external hard drives, which can't be shaged with by anyone on the internet, as they aren't connected in any way. I only have Games and a few Apps stored on the computers HD. If something catastrophic happens to Windoze and I can't recover it, I simply hit the Format button and re-install, not having to worry about my data.

micro shaft updates

Reply #14
Quote from: jcassity;406584
on my caveman machine...
Hey hey, no worries here, i wasn't bashing anyone, electronics have came WAY down in price the last few years, but they're still expensive.

My old (new in 2006) XP machine was pretty good to me, I just outgrew it and it couldn't be upgraded much more than I'd already peaked it up. In fact, I delayed the purchase of it's replacement for a year and half because it was still able to do what I needed out of it. I finally started having issues with overheating and and after a complete reformat and install of Win 7 on it, it was really sluggish, so i ponied up and bought a machine that i could play Oblivion and Skyrim on, as well some choice FPS, so I bought an HP and modded the living hell out of it.

The only thing left stock is the mobo, processor case. Everything else is performance enhanced. I've got a 750gb C drive, a 3TB second internal, and 3 portable USB 2.0 drives of 2 TB each, as well as 16g RAM, and a monster vid card,can't exactly remember the stats, but I had to replace the PSU to be able to use it. The chip is a 3.4ghz AMD quad core. Except for one minor registry error about 3 months ago, it's been 100% flawless. Runs skyrim with everything set to max. Love it.

I swear by Norton, have used it religiously for 4 years and have not had ONE SINGLE intrusion/virii, I also run malwarebytes and spybot S&D once or so a week. I also *acquire* tv shows and music, and like I said, never an issue since using Norton.

Also, the Adblock Plus addon for Firefox cuts down on shiznit loading up and slowing page load times...anyone that visits the corral as a guest will know what I mean.

Put it this way, would you buy a new car, and go to wal mart, leaving the doors not only unlocked, but wide open? Norton is the armed guard standing next to your vehicle while you're away...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6