Skip to main content
Topic: Engine harness/sensor help, think I'm good now (Read 1896 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine harness/sensor help, think I'm good now

Need help guys.
I've spent the weekend working on the '88 replacing the lifters and was reassembling the manifolds and ran into some problems.

1. Does anyone know what sensor/sender is supposed to go here? This is the front driver's side of the lower manifold between the first bolt and injector.

The one on my '86 looks like this... sorry the picture isn't more clear. Anyway the sensor/sender there is connected by a single red/white wire.

On the '88, I have the same single red/white wire connector that isn't hooked up to anything. Instead, there is a sensor identical to the ECT sensor and a connector. The wire for this connector has the same red/white type of wire as the single one on the '86 but has the additional black/white wire. Also, this connector is not connected to the top engine harness but leads to a cluster of wires between the battery and coil.

Here's a shot of both.

Again, the one on the left is connected in the position questioned above on my '86 but there is not one like the connector on the right (at least that I can see).
The connector on the right is connected in the position questioned above on my '88 but the wire on the left is dangling free.

If you know what goes there, I'd greatly appreciate knowing so I can get this thing back together.

2. I found a wire that has been severed on the engine harness. I can't locate the other half of it or find where it went. Anyone know? It's a solid orange wire.

I'm unclear as to if this is a difference between an '86 and '88 harness or if this is some of the genius work the mechanic did on my HO swap 4 years ago.
I'm working on locating a new engine harness to just replace this mess and have one potential lead I'll find out about tomorrow.
Thanks a million for any help.
Fred

Reply #1
Solid Orange is the O2 sensor ground usualy.

Reply #2
Update.
The spot I first pictured should be the temp sender for the cluster, correct?

Now I'm looking at this as a replacement...

Advance Auto
AC Delco part #F1855

Obvioulsly, this has the single wire hookup. So does anyone have a clue as to what that connector is doing there? I'm guessing it's something the goofball mechanic did.

Now again with the orange wire... I just printed out a wiring diagram and it looks like orange goes to the #7 fuel injector. I guess I'll have to examine the car closer to verify this.

Any other input?

Reply #3
That sensor looks to be the right one for the dash water temp light. That looks just like the one on my engine.  About that orange wire. I have an 84 turbo coupe and yes the orange wire is for the O2 ground ,but I did find another Orange wire. At first I thoght it was the O2 ground and it tested like a ground with the multi meter. So I hooked it up to gournd. Guess what the Low oil light was on. Disconected the wire and the low light went off. So that wire could be a low oil wire. The sensor I got with an 86 T/c motor for the low oil sensor has an orange wire coming out of it.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
Hmm, my low oil light still works though.
I didn't think the o2 ground would be connected to the harness that just runs along the top of the motor but I guess it's possible. :dunno:

Reply #5
Since I'm doing the HO swap I have some input on this. The hole is where the temp sensor goes however it should look like the ACT sensor in size as you have a digi dash. Now trying to find a digi dash temp sensor is a pain in the ass. I couldn't find a new one so I just reused the still working old one.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Why did you pull that out anyways;) ? I just unpluged my temp sensor when I pulled the manifold. Oh and the big connector should be for the digi dash temp sensor. I'll check tomorrow for sure when I go work on the Bird.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #7
You can just leave the left side wire alone. That's how mine was. It just sat there not hooked up to anything.

Reply #8
Thanks Lou! I was wondering if that was a difference with the digital cluster.

Oh, I pulled it out because the temp sensor that was in there was plastic and is melted to oblivion. :hick:
I guess I'll just stick it in there to plug the hole until I find a replacement.

I'm guessing my car overheated badly last year when I had all my problems. I just couldn't tell since the sensor was screwed and the guage read normal.

I also looked into the orange wire. I've tried tracking it down and it looks like everthing that should be there is. So it quite possibly is the O2 ground, all my wires were lenghtened (not by me) when I had my h-pipe installed.

Thanks for all the input and help guys, appreciate it.

Reply #9
The o2 ground is actualy not routed through the ten pins. On the back of both heads you will find an o2 sensor ground, it promptly turns and hides in the harness going to the o2 sensors. I don't recal if each sensor is grounded seperate or together.

Oh and that was me who responded about the o2 ground.. I was on my buddies computer and didn't realize I wasn't on my profile.
One 88

Reply #10
Quote from: CougarSE;138614
The o2 ground is actualy not routed through the ten pins. On the back of both heads you will find an o2 sensor ground, it promptly turns and hides in the harness going to the o2 sensors. I don't recal if each sensor is grounded seperate or together.

Oh and that was me who responded about the o2 ground.. I was on my buddies computer and didn't realize I wasn't on my profile.

For anyone reading this thread that needs to know, each O2 sensor IS grounded separately.  They're grounded separately on the back of each of the 2 heads..
William