Skip to main content
Topic: EEC tuning with Moates QH. (Read 11436 times) previous topic - next topic

EEC tuning with Moates QH.

Reply #30
So I got an F1ZF-AA sensor, swapped to the CT1 tube and set my slopes and offset, and it ran terrible.  then I realized that 30lb/hr is at 43.5psi.  I did some scaling with the slopes and ofsets and at 27.15 for the high slope, it seems to be straight, I bumped the spark sea-level table 8 degrees across the board, and now I think I'm pretty close.  Tomorrow I'll get my adjustable FPR, so I can reset the pressure to 43.5 with no vac. I'll rescale my slopes back to 30ish and try again.

Reply #31
If you're using the Ford "Red Top" EV1 30lb injectors (like me) then they flow 30lbs/hr at the stock 39psi fuel pressure. I'm running a stock replacement Motorcraft fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure at the rail with no vacuum on the regulator is 39psi. My 30lb injectors run fine at the stock 39psi fuel pressure.

BTW I'm thinking about picking up a Quarter Horse next year and tuning my car. At that point I would also be swapping to a Lightning MAF. Hopefully you figure out the Quarter Horse so I can copy you later on ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #32
But I'm not.  I'm using red tops from a late 90's flex fuel 3.3l Intrepid.  They're 30lb, but at 43.5  They're made by Siemens, who has referred me to Continental, who I'm waiting to hear from.  It would be incredibly helpful to have a calibration summary for them.

Reply #33
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;449747
But I'm not.  I'm using red tops from a late 90's flex fuel 3.3l Intrepid.  They're 30lb, but at 43.5  They're made by Siemens, who has referred me to Continental, who I'm waiting to hear from.  It would be incredibly helpful to have a calibration summary for them.

Well that will account for the difference :hick:. I've got 30lb Ford EV1 red tops, which have a know slope. You may have to figure out the proper slope for the injectors you're running.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
I've been homing in on the slopes little by little.  Overall, the steep learning curve was expected, so I'd say it's going well.  I made a few good hard runs this afternoon that pulled very hard and didn't give me any detonation or spark knock, so tomorrow I'll up the pressure, adjust the slopes more, and see where I land.  I just wish the idle was smoother.  I'm beginning to suspect GT40P's were a poor choice to pair with domed pistons, there's very close clearance between the spark plug boss and the top of the piston, and I suspect that's giving me burn problems.

Reply #35
Oh, dear lord! I started reading this tread because I am interested in the Quarterhorse system. Now I learn that you are using Chrysler parts on your Bird. I have a hard enough time making parts from all different year models of Ford work in harmony, to add in something from a Chrysler? Whew! Not meaning any disrespect here. Foe, if anyone can do it, you can.

Reply #36
I wish I had bought the FRPP red tops, but only because the calibration data is available.  I bought the set I have, because at the time the price was good and I didn't know I'd need so much info when it came time to tune it.  After I raised the pressure to 43 or so, I was able to set the high slope to 30ish and then do some math to determine the low slope.  I found that using an A9L bin makes injector breakpoint a fine fuel adjustment rather than an actual injector breakpoint.  That made fuel easier to dial in.  I still have no idea what my voltage offset should be, but I've left it stock so far.  I made a huge breakthrough last week when I decided to copy and paste the A9P spark sealevel table to the A9L bin I'm using and then add 6 degrees to the whole thing (may go back to 8 when I feel safe to do so), then copied it to the altitude spark table and the base spark table.  I had lost most of my low-end punch, but that brought it back.  Who would have thought running the automatic spark tables on an automatic car would have made a difference.  I had to tell the A9L bin it had an automatic trans, and set the neutral and drive idle speeds from the A9P as well.  I'm getting really close to a good base tune.  Once I get there, I'll probably end up having someone else tune it on a dyno for the fine tuning, I just don't want to show up with a ragged ass base tune and have the dude be like "how did you even make it here?".

Reply #37
So how's this going? I'm thinking of picking up Quarterhorse and BE and tuning the car myself vs having someone else do it next year. It's going to be cheaper to tune it myself.

Reply #38
It's going well, I'm still struggling a bit to iron out my low range spark.  For my summer daily, though, it's really fairly good now.  I was driving everyplace with my laptop open for a while, but now only fiddle with it a couple times a week.  If I can get my low end punch back to where it was, I'll feel pretty good about my tune.

Reply #39
Are you using Binary Editor? I've heard it has a steep learning curve. If all I really have to do is enter the injector slops and MAF transfer function to get up and running that would be great.

Reply #41
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;451272
I use tunerpro rt.  I thought it would be that simple, too.  There's a bit more involved.

Nuts. If you don't mind asking how much did the whole works (Quarterhorse and software) cost you? I can get a tune from a renowned local tuner for around $400 but I like the idea of being able to make changes on my own as time goes on vs paying for another dyno session later.

Reply #43
Geesh Quarterhorse and BE is only $50 cheaper than taking the car to my local tuner to have it done......