Skip to main content
Topic: Bored too much?? (Read 863 times) previous topic - next topic

Bored too much??

Just a curious question. How long do you all think a 302 bored .060 over would last?? I didn't have it done but I have a not-so-fresh short block that's never been installed. I didn't think a "Professional" shop would bore a production block that far.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Bored too much??

Reply #1
You can have the block sonic checked for thickness. If it checks out and i am going to say very rare it can be punched out to .060. But ford only recommends .030. Hope this helps.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Bored too much??

Reply #2
Thanks Tom. It's just I've never seen one bored that much. I always was under the impression that the max overbore was .040 because of the thin wall construction. If it did indeed pass a sonic testing, I don't think ANY form of power-adder would be wise with this one.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Bored too much??

Reply #3
Choice of piston may be somewhat limited for .60 too. You'll be stuck w/the stock 3" stroke for anything off the shelf. A stroker requires a custom piston.

Bored too much??

Reply #4
Ive seen them bored .060" before, for stock rebuilds. On a performance build it might have a overheating problem and the cylinder walls are a little thin for high rpms. The short deck height (8.2") causes a lot of side load on the cylinder wall, at high rpms the piston will try to push trough the wall. Ive seen a lot of cheap circle track guys break piston skirts on cast pistons because the side load from the short deck on the 302s.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Bored too much??

Reply #5
I had thoughts of getting it from the guy, but the amount of over-bore has me concerned, although I don't have anything to put it in anyway.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]