Skip to main content
Topic: Darn pedal swaps... (Read 2555 times) previous topic - next topic

Darn pedal swaps...

So, that was a fun way to spend 6 hours...NOT! Finally got finished putting the car back together about an hour ago, unhooked the speedo since it won't work with my 5-Speed. Managed to tweak the column shift linkage while removing the column, so now I have no Park. Guess I'll have to crawl under there this week and re-adjust. Good thing I fixed my E-brakes!

Can't believe it took me that long...
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #1
There is a button on the top of the switch, you turn the lights on, reach up behind the dash and depress the button, and the  and shaft pulls out.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #2
not sure its like all the others i have messed with as i havent tried to remove one from a 4eye, but spin the  around and see if there is a notch to slide a small screwdriver or pick into. there should be a catch in the notch that will release the .

edit, sounds like its different from what im used to. cougarman posted while i was typing
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #3
Quote from: gumby;331989
not sure its like all the others i have messed with as i havent tried to remove one from a 4eye, but spin the  around and see if there is a notch to slide a small screwdriver or pick into. there should be a catch in the notch that will release the .

edit, sounds like its different from what im used to. cougarman posted while i was typing

No button that I could see/reach behind the dash. Got pissed and yanked it off, found the metal catch that your supposed to pull up on to release the  from the shaft. Pics later.

I thought there was a catch there, but my pick wouldn't hook it earlier when I tried.

Sometimes I get a little worked up....:o  Thanks guys!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #4

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #5
Quote from: jrad235;331991
...Got pissed and yanked it off...

I know how that is ...my tools all seem to grow legs after I put them back in the tool box :disappoin:shakehead
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #6
Why do they always have to be right! These pedals take forever by yourself!!! I'm taking a break.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #7
Quote from: jrad235;332047
Why do they always have to be right! These pedals take forever by yourself!!! I'm taking a break.

What is this about pedals? I take it you are swapping out to manual.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #8
Quote from: Watchdevil;332068
What is this about pedals? I take it you are swapping out to manual.

Yep, I've had all the parts laying around for a couple months now, just had to get my E-brakes taken care of, which I did last weekend, so today I got around to installing the pedals, which managed to take ALL DAY! So much for heading over to the carshow..

So, now that the speedo is unhooked since there was no way it was going through the other hole in the firewall(Relocated so the clutch cable could use its original grommet), I guess I'll be ordering those new gauges and getting the trans installed sooner rather than later.

Still trying to decide whether I want to use the factory fuel sender, or make one of the aftermarket ones work. I think my sender(83 buttstuffog cluster) is ~150+Ohms E/~20 Ohms F, but can't find any dospoogeentation to back that up.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #9
Quote from: jrad235;332072

So, now that the speedo is unhooked since there was no way it was going through the other hole in the firewall(Relocated so the clutch cable could use its original grommet), I guess I'll be ordering those new gauges and getting the trans installed sooner rather than later.

I am sure putting in the pedal cluster was quite a job for you doing it for the first time. I have had my dash in and out so much that I now know exactly what needs to be loosened to get that bracket out.

The speedometer cable from the factory enters through a grommet on the right side and above the steering column to the left of where the accelerator cable comes through. You could also poke it through that big rubber boot that the steering column uses. Just make a slit at the top to pass it through and seal it with silicone.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #10
Quote from: jrad235;331991
No button that I could see/reach behind the dash. Got pissed and yanked it off, found the metal catch that your supposed to pull up on to release the  from the shaft. Pics later.

I thought there was a catch there, but my pick wouldn't hook it earlier when I tried.

No, Herb had it right. 
On the right side of the switch, there is a small button you press to release the shaft from the switch.
You sometimes have to fiddle with it to get it to disengage, but the shaft does come out of the switch pretty easily.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #11
Quote from: Chuck W;332085
No, Herb had it right. 
On the right side of the switch, there is a small button you press to release the shaft from the switch.
You sometimes have to fiddle with it to get it to disengage, but the shaft does come out of the switch pretty easily.

It's funny that now I take it for granted that Ford pull headlamp switches always have that release button you have to reach under the dash and feel for to push down and pull the  out with the shaft.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #12
It was a slight PITA for me even without the dash.
I doubt I'd be very willing to try with the dash in.
You folks that do...you've got some persistence, lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #13
That's ok, I couldn't/didn't want to get my hand up there anyways. There is a release catch on the  itself, so that works for me.

Darn pedal swaps...

Reply #14
I'm doing a T5 swap with my 84.  The t5 that I got had the non-cable type speedo.  I used the cable type one from my AOD and it hooked up fine to the T5.  Maybe this is something you could do if needed.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics