Skip to main content
Topic: new 5.0 oil dipstick and tube? (Read 1153 times) previous topic - next topic

new 5.0 oil dipstick and tube?

it turns out the last 2-3 inches of the dipstick broke off, just snapped off the other day when i went to check the oil level, couldnt get the thing back in, happened to look at the end and saw "MAX" but only the "AX" part of it. also found out the thing is rusty and definitely needs to be replaced.

does anyone know where i could order one online? ive been warned not to get a used one by a knowledgeable friend of my uncle, who says that its very likely an old one will be in as bad shape as mine.

thanks!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #2
Check out FRPP's catalog, they shoujld have one for $20.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #3
OK, just to let you know...there were two different 5.0 dipsticks. One is shorter than the other and will barely show any oil on the dipstick when you check it. This is considered "normal" by Ford. Those were usually found on the newer (~1992ish) 5.0 engines. The older ones, like ours, have the correct longer dipstick that shows the right amount of oil in the crankcase. The one in that linked eBay auction looks to be correct.

Please tell us that the end broke off when it was OUT of the tube... :eek:

Reply #4
Quote from: EricCoolCats
OK, just to let you know...there were two different 5.0 dipsticks. One is shorter than the other and will barely show any oil on the dipstick when you check it. This is considered "normal" by Ford. Those were usually found on the newer (~1992ish) 5.0 engines. The older ones, like ours, have the correct longer dipstick that shows the right amount of oil in the crankcase. The one in that linked eBay auction looks to be correct.

Please tell us that the end broke off when it was OUT of the tube... :eek:

Yeah uh don't start thr car if there is a big chunk of the dipstick floating in the oil pan. You don't want that finding it's way to the oil pump or getting stuck in an oil passage somewhere.........
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Oh yeah how did the dipstick get rusty? Mine is the original to the car and it looks like brand new. I've never seen a rusty dipstick from a car that isn't in a wreaking yard that has parts of the engine missing where water can get into the crank case.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
nope, the guy looked at it and said it was rusty.

, i gotta freakin tell the whole story lol. it needed a cat back exhaust system because i was gonna change the ler to make it loud...rusty clamps and ler, etc etc so he put one on with a flowmaster, also looked at the dipstick tube for me because i couldnt, from under or above, find where it goes into the block! i was gonna just take it off but i had no idea how it attached. i still dont really. my mom talked to him because i was at work, :mad: no offense to mom but you cant tell her detailed stuff about the car and expect her to regurgitate it to me verbatim. so all i know is "it was rusty". also why i dont really know how it attaches, i really need to talk to the guy in person.

i think it broke off on the stick's way up when i went to check it, and has become lodged at an angle in the tube. i tried pushing kinda hard on the stick and all of the wavy part near the top wouldnt go in. believe me i worried about that too, i know i probably shouldnt drive it but i do need the car, nothing's happened yet, i tried again the stick still wont go in so im sure it hasnt gone into the sump.

just in case anyones wondering also i put a rubber cap on the tube and zip-tied it too, the day i couldnt get the dipstick back in. so at least its all still sealed.

i put FRPP into google, found out what it was. found this: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1451 $27.95, cheaper than that ebay one even! i am probably one of the few in the universe without and ebay account. theres so much stuff but my moms always been afraid of it. i think we need to though, for stuff like parts for these cars, which i guess are hard to find? is this one right? or is it the short one? Eric, what do you mean "normal by ford"? as in the short one works, if theres just a drop on the end that means the level is ok? thats what im understanding, anyway. right or wrong? all i need is something that works (though id prefer to have the correct thing).
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #7
OK, so the majority of the dipstick is still in the tube, it's sealed up, and it won't move? Did I read that correctly? If so you'd probably be alright to drive it.

The dipstick tube hole is in the block beneath the #7 and #8 spark plugs. It's nearly impossible to see from the top of the car with the exhaust manifolds in the way. It's not bloody easy to see from underneath the car either, for that matter. Anyway, the tube just sort of pushes into the block and that's it. There *should* be a rubber seal on it. It can only go in so far. Also you'll notice that there's a bracket welded to it; that goes to a manifold stud to keep the tube from wiggling around. All there is to it.

Yeah, the "normal" thing...I don't know what Ford engineers were thinking. If you have 5 quarts of oil in the engine, on the older dipstick the crosshatched area is up higher and 5 qts. reads as full. If you're low a quart or two, you can tell because there's some space between the crosshatched area and the end of the dipstick. Use the shorter dipstick and the crosshatched area is at the very tip of the dipstick. 5 qts. still reads as full but is barely touching the dipstick. In other words, there is no space between the crosshatched area and the tip of the dipstick to let you know that you're low. You either have 5 qts. or you don't. Pretty helpful, huh? ;)

Reply #8
well no--to the first statement anyway. i think about 3 inches is near the bottom of the tube. but the rest of the dipstick, (out of the car on my workbench) will not go in all the way.

so, will that one from ford racing parts be okay?

Reply #10
Try checking over a Mr gasket. I know they make them for most things. By the way it will most likely be chrome.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird