Skip to main content
Topic: TC problems (Read 792 times) previous topic - next topic

TC problems

I bought a non running 1988 turbo coupe with a 5 speed, I also had a 88 TC but auto.  The auto bird sat for 5 years and when I when to start it it wouldn't so I got rid of the 5 yr old gas and with a little starter fluid it fired right up.  It ran for 15 min and died and would not start.  I heard the door in the VAM bouncing around and at the time did not know what it was.  The only way it would start is if I held the VAM door open.  So I throuhgt it was junk and I could not get a nother one from ford so I bought a nother 88TC 5 spd rust free.  I did a motor transplant because the auto tc only had 65,000 and the new one had almost 200,000.  Well I went through the motor with all new gaskets and sensors get everything together and the car wont start.  Well I decide to hold the door open on the VAM that came with the new car and it fired up.  Why wont it start on its own has anyone else had a problem with a VAM will converting it to mass air from moderperformanceinc.com solve my problem. HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

Re: TC problems

Reply #1
Nothing from Modern Performance will help you.

First, run codes (at least the KOEO since you can't do a KOER w/out the car running), check timing (cam and ignition), check FP.

Also, pay a visit to TURBOFORD...for your more 2.3T-specific questions....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Re: TC problems

Reply #2
When cranking the engine should pull enough vacspooge to slightly open the VAM.. Possibly you have a leak in the intake track or a bad VAM... Also weak fuel pressure could be a problem, or a bad temp sensor can cause starting problems(so possibly the problem is not VAM related).

As Chuck stated it would be a good idea to start with the codes