Skip to main content
Topic: couple more questions - tools/mystery valve parts (Read 1255 times) previous topic - next topic

couple more questions - tools/mystery valve parts

k im probably gonna start my H.O. conv. work soon. i decided to clean the valves i was given with the heads in my the parts washer and the springs too. but i took them out of the shipping box and found a greasy plastic baggy i didnt know was in there, and found whats in the first and second attached picture. the first one, i has no idea what those little things go to. but im guessing there should be 16 not 15 of those little washers. could i re use the ones from my cat? will it have those too?

im gonna guess at the 2nd pic--keepers? they dont all look the same, and why the difference?

and the third pic. these are tools of my dads, always been sitting in that deep-fryer box on the shelf. i think the shiny-chrome looking one is a harmonic balancer puller? (saw one in a catalog) what are the other ones? will i need them?

if it wasnt clear in the old thread, i have to assemble these heads. is that really hard? what tools will i need? i know ill need a valve spring compressor. would my local advance auto parts store rent that out? if not would others like napa, autozone etc?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
first pic
top-?? possible those are valve stem seals but they dont look plastic to me (no, cant reuse old ones unless you want to)
middle--valve spring washers,, some say you need em , some say you dont but depends on how stiff the springs are.
bottom--keepers , they dont look odd to me

second pic
caps for the top of the springs.

suggestion,,,,,,,,,,,,,go to a junk yard and get any head that is free for the taking.  Now go home and take it apart.  This will introduce you to how its done.

as for the tools,, all you need is the hand held valve spring compressor tool,, not the big honkin vise grip type. 

as for the harmonic balancer,, not sure why youd wanna pull it off, the pully bolts on to the face of the balancer anyway,,perhaps you are replacing a crank?

this tool may come in handy if you wanna clean up the valve seats and use grinding compound to freshen up the surfaces where they mate.
,,,,,,,,,made by NEWAY

Reply #2
I got a valve spring compressor from princess auto for $14, looks like a two jaw puller, a bit slow  but worked great doing the valve seals on my mustang.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #3
jcassity,

no im not replacing the crank, thank God. lol. but i gotta pull of the timing cover to replace the cam, and i think someone said the crank shaft goes through that right?

in the first pic, those eight things are steel, so theyre not valve stem seals. and the fact that theres eight is odd too.

what i meant by looking different is in the second pic, the caps, half have the groove on top half dont. i wanna guess that one half is for exhaust valves, the other for intake?
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #4
Yeah! those are real bad,heavy two piece retainers. The best think you could do is toss all that and get a set of aftermarket springs and retainers. IMO.

Reply #5
I recognize the R/C truck tires as Mashers 2ks...  Same as the ones on my Stampede.:dunce:

Reply #6
haha yup it found its way into the pic!

guys im still not sure about those tools of mine. does anyone know what they are? and specifically is the shiny one in the upper right corner a balancer puller?

Reply #7
As far as the tools go...clockwise from top right- Balancer/steering wheel puller, 3-jaw puller, I recognize that one thing but can't remember what the hell it is...bearing splitter or something? And the last thing, I can't tell what it is, pic is too dark.

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #8
sorry ill try again. i put it on the basp00get floor this time, i think the white surface made the camera tone the flash down too much.

also the other side of that tool you werent sure of

Reply #9
Yeah thats a bearing splitter for removing a bearing from a shaft and the other odd looking contraption is a bearing puller for removing it from a tube etc.

Scott
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

bearing SEPERATOR

Reply #10
and yeah those valve components are seals locks and washers. All the other tools are various types of bearing pullers, and no you won't need them for the valve job.

Reply #11
Quote from: ZondaC12;118757

in the first pic, those eight things are steel, so theyre not valve stem seals. and the fact that theres eight is odd too.

what i meant by looking different is in the second pic, the caps, half have the groove on top half dont. i wanna guess that one half is for exhaust valves, the other for intake? 

1.. Those flat peices i believe are for exhaust valves.... the rubbery ones are for intake valves..

2 aaaand i believe the 1 peice caps are for Intake and the 2 peicers are for exhaust