Skip to main content
Topic: A couple quick questions. (Read 2014 times) previous topic - next topic

A couple quick questions.

Reply #15
Probably not a very good idea at all to support 400+ pounds of weight on the front of the crank.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
Really, I probably have about everything I need disconnected to remove the engine, and I do understand where you guys (ladies included) are coming from. My cougar is my primary source of transportation at this time, and I have a lot to do. If all goes well, I hope to be replacing the engine and transmission in about a year from now. Then I can paint the car (when the engine compartment is empty) and replace the wiring harness. Right now, I'm just getting the rest of the car ready for when I do. I know for a fact that I wouldn't be as far as I am if it wasn't for all your help, so please keep them coming!

Reply #17
Quote from: Chrome;396419
If you pull the engine, you could also pull and drain the torque converter and all of your trans fluid would be fresh and new.

I removed that front bellhousing plate and the torque converter had a plug I took out to completely drain it.
Mike

Reply #18
Quote from: mcb82gt;396448
I removed that front bellhousing plate and the torque converter had a plug I took out to completely drain it.

Some torque converters have it, others don't.

Reply #19
So, does anyone know how many quarts of transmission fluid my car takes? I guessing 5-6 quarts.  Thanks!

Reply #20
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+the+fluid+capacity+of+a+ford+AOD%3F

a little google search confirmed that if the torque converter is drained the capacity will be 11 quarts.

Reply #21
88turbo,
            I tried a search and I guess I didn't type in the right words. I had no idea the transmission took so much fluid. When I took the pan off, I noticed how dirty it was. So, new fluid and filter are in order. Thanks again for your help!

Reply #22
The 84 Owners Manual says the AOD holds 12.3 U.S quarts.