Skip to main content
Topic: Pulling Engine (1983 Cougar) (Read 2704 times) previous topic - next topic

Pulling Engine (1983 Cougar)

Reply #15
I just pulled my engine and tranny together out of my t-bird. I used both a cherry picker with a leveler on it. Worked good for me.
Whoa, that was fun!

Reply #16
Well guys, I missed out on the hoist and stand deal.  However, a friend of mine who's helping me do this job has access to an engine hoist which runs off of air, so we'll see how it works.  We began work yesterday and are close to getting the motor out.  I'll post pics soon.

Reply #17
I have two questions for you guys.  One, does the starter motor absolutely have to be removed for engine removal?  With motor lift out time occurring hopefully tomorrow, I want to know what are my lifting options.  I ask this because I've lifted from mounting locations on the corners of the block, however, I wanted to use a central location.  For instance I often times have seen a plate with a hook where the carb used to be located when other people are doing a job.  What is this hook and plate called?

Reply #18
If pulling with the tranny attached then I don't see why it would have to come off.  I left my starter attached and it came out just fine. 

I do not know the official name of the plate that goes where the carb does. I have used those many of times, but not pulling a engine/tranny combo. Only engines by themselves.
Whoa, that was fun!

Reply #19
Quote from: ottoparts;257579
I do not know the official name of the plate that goes where the carb does.

I am not 100% sure either, but I have always referred to it as a "Lift Plate". I've used mine tons of time and almost always for a motor/tranny combo. Even though it comes with multiple holes, I had to drill mine for Ford Flatheads. It didn't come with those three holes already in it and I don't know why. lol.
1987 Turbo Coupe - Son's car
1987 Super Coupe - Son's project car
1934 Ford - My project car

Reply #20
I just used a chain with bolts stuck into the front and back of the heads.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #21
Thanks for the input guys.  I only plan on pulling out the motor, so I guess the starter must be coming out first.  Also, how many bolts do I have connecting the bellhousing to engine block?  I did two on the top today, see two on the sides underneath the car, now need to know of anymore along the sides that I possibly cannot view easily.  Thanks.

Reply #22
there 6 total.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!

Reply #23
its a ton eaisier to pull the tranny too. Its only one or two wires and the tranny mount. The yoke slips right off so you don't even have to pull the driveshaft if you don't want to. I spent a good couple of hours pulling the tranny out by hand. I could pull the engine and tranny both in less then 2.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #24
A leveler is such a good item to have with the hoist. I've done 3 or 4 removals and installs and it makes it very easy. Removing the trans with the motor allows you to inspect everything on the trasn, tighten stuff up, clean it, and generally make sure all is well. 

C.
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry