Skip to main content
Topic: suspention questions before I order (Read 3762 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: suspention questions before I order

Reply #15
Ive got a set of home made subframes welded up and I have very little flex at all even without a strut tower brace, I need to invest in a welder soon so we can do the torque boxes and make a strut tower brace that fits... we will probly be redoing the subframes to make them a little longer. I have no plans for a roll cage right now because noone makes them and I dont think Im qualified to do it myself but the BF is going to teach me how to weld so Im excited! :)

Right now with the front end up in the air and the back sitting stock height the rear fender digs into my tires when we take off without traction so I want the rear suspention to be stiff witch my understanding is that the rear drag springs with 50/50 shocks would be - I also want the front end of the car to come down,,by using the mustang springs up front I figured that would work and I think Im going with stock front struts. Correct me if Im wrong because the more I think about it the more confused I get!! :wtf:

Ive already ordered the CHE upper and lower control arms and the drag springs so I hope it works. :bowdown: Just in case chromejr302 could you give me the part # for your springs? It looks like there working well :)  Thanks.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #16
As far as the rollbar, S&W racecars makes a nice rollbar for our cars. The application listing can be seen here . They make both an 8pt and 10pt cage.

Im not sure of the part number of the springs I have but I know for a fact that they came off of a wrecked stock 2000 mustang convertible V6. I know b/c I took them off myself at the junkyard. The later nonfox springs were longer than the fox springs and the convertible models are have a higher weight rating so they suit our cars nicely.

Why is your front end so high? I would look into that problem. I think for street/strip use the stock struts are fine.

Let me know how you like the CHE control arms when you get them. Id like to get a set up adjustable uppers and spring perch adjustable lowers for mine to adjust ride height.

Good luck
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #17
My springs came yesterday, I wasent expecting them to come untill my control arms got here... oh well, I guess we'll try them on and see if theyll work. Ill get back to everybody about the control arms :)

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #18
For anyone interested- the drag springs lowered the front of my car about 1/2 an inch...I need about a 2 inch drop so I didnt even bother putting them on the rear :disappoin So I bought a Mustang and Im sing the cougar :)
Yea right, well thats how I felt last night... I sent the drag springs  back and now Im going to try Intrax 2 inch drop springs....Wish me luck!

BTW: the spacer is acting as a 3/4 inch body lift but I dont know what is causing the other inch of lift! :dunno: