Skip to main content
Topic: suspention questions before I order (Read 3762 times) previous topic - next topic

suspention questions before I order

Im ready to order....

-CHE performance adj. upper and lower control arms
-Eibach drag launch spring kit #EIB-9310-140
-Lakewood drag shocks *front 70/30
                                *rear 50/50
Anyone have any of this on their car? Just the shocks,...just the springs? Any help or advice would be helpfull!!!! Thanks! :)

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Re: suspention questions before I order

Reply #1
Are you only intending to drag race the car or do typical street driving as well?
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #2
The car is bad on the street...maybe when its tuned it will do better but its mainly drag.

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #3
The reason he asked is because those drag-race components aren't safe anywhere else but at the strip, so as long as its going to be a trailered drag car then drag components are fine.

Reply #4
Ive already taken the drag vs street part into consideration.

I really would just like to know if anyone has them- how the car will sit?

Is the spring/shock a good combo?

Reply #5
Quote from: Ifixyawata
The reason he asked is because those drag-race components aren't safe anywhere else but at the strip, so as long as its going to be a trailered drag car then drag components are fine.

Exactly, if you ride on the street with those struts every time you start to go from a stop don't expect to see the road for a bit. If you are going for drag strip racing then go for it, tho i actually think they make drag struts spefically for our cars.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #6
the ass will sag really bad
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
aimee, im afraid your writting the book for all of us down the road, so keep good notes :)

Reply #8
well, i know about the drag springs because i have a buddy with an 87 or 88 TC who just installed them, he quotes "the car looks like its launching just sitting there, lol"

for drag launch, you should be able to get away with using V6 tbird/coug springs in the rear, theyre soft enough to give a good weight transfer, but can support the weight of the car...hell, my car noses up like hell when i launch it, and its an underpowered V6
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #9
well, i know about the drag springs because i have a buddy with an 87 or 88 TC who just installed them, he quotes "the car looks like its launching just sitting there, lol"
does it have the 4 cyl in it still?
Right now I have stock (new) xr7 springs on my car and the front is up in the air even after we tried cutting a coil off. The Eibach drag launch kit says its a stock height spring so I figured it would sit my car a little lower in the rear, I just ordered the CHE adj lowers last night so Ill have them to lift it back up.  I went ahead and ordered the drag launch springs yesterday but I got them $40 cheeper at Autozone so I guess if there a problem it will be easy to return them. Im second guessing the shocks...summits tech guy says it will be a great drag set up but like riding water on the street but people do it all the time. Im thinking 50/50 rear but go with a more stock front strut :dunno:  Im getting a headache looking at all my options and adding prices up :bricks1:  All my suspention should be here by the end of the month if there really is a 2-3 week wait for custom color control arms...So I have to get it togeather by then.

Reply #10
its got the 4 banger in it, but its still close to the weight of a V8 car, either way, and a 4 banger has no difference on the rear end

the rear will be dropped at least 3 inchs, where the front stays stock height

as for your nose sitting high, i think you have other problems, i remember you mentioning you have these uber spacers on your k-member
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
3 inches!!! I guess Ill see and get back to you guys and let ya know if mine turns out the same.
As for my front end Im sure it has other problems but I dont think it has to do with the spacers, I guess Ill see about that too.

Reply #12
reason i bring that up, the spacers could very well be acting as a body lift up front
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #13
Alot of the parts that mustang guys use are needed because they dont have the weight transfer that we have. I would be more concerned with stiffening the chasis, ie rollbar and through the floor subframes. This will prevent our long chasis from twisting on launch.

As far as suspension wise, I think the control arms are a great idea. I would also consider reinforcing the torque boxes. However, the drag springs might be a bit much. I currently run 2000 v6 vert stang springs. They lowered the car about 1.5-2in and transfer weight great with stock rear shocks. Even the front struts could be stock for our application due again to the great weight transfer. I think some sort of anti-roll control would be beneficial too. Good luck, Im not far behind you in this.  :wtf:
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile

Reply #14
You are right about the weight transfer. With stock everything in the rear suspension, a locking rear and full-length subframes (not through-floor) I was turning 1.7 60' times with the new M/T 275-60-15 drag radials. Based on the Drag Race buttstuffyzer software, that's about the best 60' I could do with my power (~325RWHP). BTW the program predicted my quarter mile time exactly. This is with the front 1.3" sway-bar still attached! I think a combination of chassis twist and control arm deflection had me looking down (yes, it almost pulled the wheels) and to the left at launch! I know there is wasted energy there and I'm sure the new control arms will help out a lot.

BTW, I've got a welder and can get and cut steel plate, but I'm not sure how to reinforce my torque-boxes - does anyone have any links to a good do-it-yourself article on this?

Quote from: chrome302jr
Alot of the parts that mustang guys use are needed because they dont have the weight transfer that we have. I would be more concerned with stiffening the chasis, ie rollbar and through the floor subframes. This will prevent our long chasis from twisting on launch.

As far as suspension wise, I think the control arms are a great idea. I would also consider reinforcing the torque boxes. However, the drag springs might be a bit much. I currently run 2000 v6 vert stang springs. They lowered the car about 1.5-2in and transfer weight great with stock rear shocks. Even the front struts could be stock for our application due again to the great weight transfer. I think some sort of anti-roll control would be beneficial too. Good luck, Im not far behind you in this.  :wtf:
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.