Skip to main content
Topic: Lincoln Mark VII rear axle swap into Tbird (Read 3257 times) previous topic - next topic

Lincoln Mark VII rear axle swap into Tbird

What are the differences? Can I use a Mustang 8.8" diff and swap the axles and brakes over from the Mark VII? ? Or do I need to swap the whole differential over? Then do I need the spindles from the same car for the front 5 lug swap? Would it be easier to swap a SN95 Mustang rear axle and front discs from a V6?
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Reply #1
looky http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/4to5lug.html  and looky http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/11inchbrake.html

hope that helps

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
Well I read it and it seems to think that the Mark 7 swap is a hard swap. I don't understand why it is a complex install. It keeps saying to avoid at all costs the front brake swap but use the Mark7 caliper?!?!?! And the rear diff is 1" wider per side? That is axle not housing right? Maybe I should stick with a turbo coupe swap in the rear and upgrade the front rotors to mustang 5.0L 11" with the mark7 calipers?
Has someone done this swap to help me out?
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Reply #3
Quote from: 86caprirs;287142
Maybe I should stick with a turbo coupe swap in the rear.............

With two guys turning wrenches and running air guns...this swap took a total of two hours.  That included extracting the TC rear from the TC car, removing the stock rear from the Sport model and re-installing the TC rear in the Sport model.  It could not be a more direct bolt-in swap.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #4
So whats involved? I could not find a TC rear so I just ended up buying a TC to strip completly.

Reply #5
I have a lincoln mark VII axle under my thunderbird...not a hard swap at all. everything control arm wise bolts on the same.    You can just use the lincoln brakes and use adapters to mate the fluid lines with your stock one. For the parking brake cables you'll have to use the lincoln ones as well. One thing you won't have with the lincoln axle is quad shocks; there's no mounts for them on the axle tubes. And of course you'll get like an 1" wider track on both sides.
~1988 thunderbird~
In hibernation, waiting for spring.

Reply #6
I too had a MK VII rear axle under mine but that is now gone.  I also have the front parts in in as well and they are coming out when I can get the sn-95 parts gathered up to change it out. Too much of a PIA.

John

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]