Skip to main content
Topic: B&M Hammer install.... finished pics added.... (Read 3749 times) previous topic - next topic

B&M Hammer install.... finished pics added....

Can I use a shifter cable from a stang on my Cat?  I just need a temporary fix (read, cheap:mullet: ) till I get back from PEI, then I will swap in a T5....  I priced out a new NOS cable.... IF you can find one...  $317!!!!!  NO THANK YOU!

The cable is definatly broke, so I need something I can replace it with...:hick:

Reply #1
Ron,if you have a floor shift then yea i think you can.
I'm using one out of a stang in my bird,but if i remember correctly it may need some modification just can't remember what.

Reply #2
cool thanks Chris...  do you remember what year cable you used?  Im assuming '87-'93 right?

Reply #3
YEP, i may have had to mod mine due to the fact that i used a half 4cyl stang one and tc one???
Not sure.

Reply #5
it turned out to be too short, so I just went ahead and ordered the B&M Hammer shifter from a performance shop in town here...  ended up paying $450 for it with the AOD brackets....!  is this a decent price or am I getting ripped?  seems kinda high to me, since the same shifter is only $230 through Summit...

but in a pinch I guess you do what ya gotta do.
this is the shifter, which I will still have to modify to make it fit my console...
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM%2D80885&N=700+400004+4294822068+115&autoview=sku

Reply #6
$450.00?Ripped !! They're on Ebay and the Corral (new) cheaper.But,when you need something quick,you have to do what you have to do.Why didn't you just get it through Summit?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
There's one on the Corral for $100.00.It's missing the shifter plate only.A shift boot would work on that shifter.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
Quote from: vinnietbird;231590
$450.00?Ripped !! They're on Ebay and the Corral (new) cheaper.But,when you need something quick,you have to do what you have to do.Why didn't you just get it through Summit?

because I just got my cable today...  $31 for the cable $40 brokerage fees....  not much of a savings...  I should have just bought a clutch and another T5....

Reply #9
Quote from: 1WLD BRD;231609
because I just got my cable today...  $31 for the cable $40 brokerage fees....  not much of a savings...  I should have just bought a clutch and another T5....

That amount would've paid for it.LOL.

Reply #10
well I got the shifter today and pretty much have it fully assembled, the new holes drilled, and the cable hole cut out of the floor. Now I am just waiting for the paint to dry on the plate I made to cover the factory hole, then I will bolt it down and hook everything up...

Then I just have to REALLY modify the console to fit it and make it look nice...

Pics:
here is the factory hole, with the new holes cut and drilled out...  had to cut a small section out of the metal console bracing piece, for the cable to pass through.....  Im using the factory speed nuts and bolts...

here is a pic of the cover plate I made and sealed to the floor:

pic of the shifter installed:

another shot of the shifter.... 

now I have to make a custom console section....  looks like I am going to lose the ashtray, (my coin cup)...

Reply #11
Sweeeeet !!! Keep us posted with info and pics.Nice work so far.

Reply #12
k I am calling it a night on it right now....
here is how it sits:
      I have the console piece it comes with, all trimmed down, now I am going to mold it to the top of the factory pieces to give it a smooth seamless look....

this project is DEFINATLY not for the week...  if you like your stock interior pieces, DO NOT put a Hammer shifter in!  LOL.

Reply #13
Thanks for the pics. I'll be doing the same exact thing after I get my console.
I'll be transplanting this in my cougar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #14
dont bother with that shifter man, look at your hand position.  Use the Hammer.  see where mine is?  that is park...  your hand will be in the stereo with that one, and if not, you will have to hack up the ENTIRE console and switch panel to make it fit...

not worth it...