Skip to main content
Topic: will this work (Read 1902 times) previous topic - next topic

will this work

scored an aod out of a 92 mustang. is it a direct bolt on in my sport or is something different?
88 sport 308 e-303, ported e7's, cobra intake, cold air, under drive pulleys, full exhaust, t5, 373's, smog pump removed, 255 pump, pressure regulator.
                        :birdsmily:

will this work

Reply #1
Not sure but that may be an AOD-E which if it is, it requires a computer to shift it.

will this work

Reply #2
Same tranny, bolt right in. I don't think the fox mustangs ever had the aod-e.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

will this work

Reply #3
Quote from: cougarman
Same tranny, bolt right in. I don't think the fox mustangs ever had the aod-e.:D

Not till the '94s anyway... (OK they are SN95s)... Still basically a Fox...

will this work

Reply #4
one last question? I calles a local installer and he told me I would have to change the tailshaft in the tranny for it to work becquse the mustangs taileshaft is shorter. any truth in that?
88 sport 308 e-303, ported e7's, cobra intake, cold air, under drive pulleys, full exhaust, t5, 373's, smog pump removed, 255 pump, pressure regulator.

will this work

Reply #5
Quote from: svtbird
one last question? I calles a local installer and he told me I would have to change the tailshaft in the tranny for it to work becquse the mustangs taileshaft is shorter. any truth in that?

I thought all passenger car aod's were the same except the aod-e
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

will this work

Reply #6
The Mark VII got a longer tailshaft, but the Mustang one should be the same as the Cougar/Tbird one.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

will this work

Reply #7
You don't have to change it. The Mustang and T-Bird/Cougar AOD's have identical sized tailshafts. The Mark VII one is longer.

will this work

Reply #8
then you run into the whole floor shifter column shifter thing.
One 88

will this work

Reply #9
Quote from: CougarSE
then you run into the whole floor shifter column shifter thing.

well his info said he has a 88 sport, so he should be set to go.

will this work

Reply #10
Exactly...it's virtually the same transmission. The only differences that my mechanic has ever found between a Mustang AOD and all the other AOD's is the addition of a few more clutches for firmer shifting. And that can be done to any AOD.

will this work

Reply #11
thanx for the help guys. i guess he was just tryin to beat me out of some money.

will this work

Reply #12
the B overdrive servo also . and his 92 will have the "beter" valve bodie design
trick flow street heat intake , 24lbs injetors, ported GT-40's (Chip) long tube headers. and a Performance Automatic C4, with a hurst shifter!

will this work

Reply #13
one final question. ive decided to try to do it in my friends garage to save alittle cash. that being said, he said hes never done it in a Ford and is kinda unsure how easy or hard it may be. does anybody have like a how-to diagram or something that we can maybe use.

will this work

Reply #14
make sure to check the speedo gear. I know mustangs use a cable drive speedometer while the tbirds have electronic senser, i am unsure if all stangs had it though.