Skip to main content
Topic: '03 3.8 4r70w info? (Read 1292 times) previous topic - next topic

'03 3.8 4r70w info?

Can anyone verify the number of intermediate clutches in a 4r70w from a 2003 v6 mustang? One page says they have 4 where another mentions 98 and earlier 3.8's and 99 and later 4.2's but ignores 99+ 3.8's. The transmission has 13k miles so I need to know whether or not it is "missing" an intermediate clutch before it goes in.

So which is it? The lincolns online site contradicts itself.

TCCOA states:
-"All AODE's and 3.8L naturally aspirated transmissions built through 1998 had 3 plate intermediate clutch's, all the rest have 4 plates."

Lincolns Online states:
-The stock '98-up 4.2 V6 4R70W (light truck only) has the same number of clutch plates as the V8 models and bolts to a 5.0 or 5.8.
-Other than for use with very high power or serious racing, any '97-up 3.8V6 or '97 4.2 V6 4R70W trans just needs 1 stock clutch & steel set added to the direct clutch pack (a relatively easy job) to equal a stock V8 4R70W and they bolt up to Windsor V8's.
-Intermediate clutch: A 4 plate intermediate clutch is needed for any high performance. All AODs, AOD/E's & 3.8 V6 non-blown 4R70W's through '98 have 3 plates. All other 4R70W's have 4.
-The BEST 4R70W trans that will bolt to a Windsor V8 is a '99 & newer 4.2 V6. It has all the best parts and the same number of clutches as the V8 mod motor transmissions.
-NEXT BEST 4R70W TRANS THAT BOLTS TO 5.0 & 5.8 is '98 3.8 V6 or 4.2 V6. The difference from '99-up 4.2 V6 which will bolt to 5.0 & 5.8 is 1 less intermediate clutch plate - easy to add - and the valve body does not have good direct clutch fluid exhaust for 4-2 manual shifts.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

'03 3.8 4r70w info?

Reply #1
Just get a trans, and then pull the front pump out of it, and add an extra intermediate clutch and pressure plate if needed.  The pressure plate is different between the 3 clutch and the 4 clutch int.

I really don't think you will have a problem with a 4-2 downshift exhaust.  If that condition that I have never heard of even exists, I'm sure it is addressed in a quality shift improver kit.  Why are you worried about that anyway?
Matt :tg:

'03 3.8 4r70w info?

Reply #2
I'm not so worried about the 4-2 shift, but the clutches. Before I go pulling things apart on a basically new transmission, I want to know whether or not it already has 4 intermediate clutches. From how I read all the above, the 99+ 3.8 also has the 4 clutches and the new valve body but it only states pre-98 3.8's/4.2's and post-4.2's. There is no mention of 99+ 3.8's at the Lincoln page.

I already have the transmission (with 3.8 motor still attached to sell) in the garage. Even the transmission fluid is still clean and it appears the pan has never been off. Zero mile motor, low mileage transmission, and low mileage 8.8 rear - the drivetrain should be set for a LONG time.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

'03 3.8 4r70w info?

Reply #3
If it's only going to be behind a 3.8, then there are no worries about the 3 or 4 int clutches.  A lot of times those things are model dependant, and you just build the thing with what it had in it, or modify it as needed if you are building a high performance engine/trans.  What it comes down to is that you are probably going to just have to pull the pump out and look.  Its not hard to do.
Matt :tg:

'03 3.8 4r70w info?

Reply #4
Fair enough. It's going behind a 5.0 that will be putting down around ~400hp when all is complete. In the short term, it will be seeing closely around 250rwhp at 5k (know what you want and build for it).

Since this is the second go at a motor due to a bad block before, I have taken many more pictures so I know how EVERYTHING is setup, including clearances and everything so I don't forget. Other than a missing head stud/washer, the short block is complete (heads not torqued). I'll create a thread soon on the build just for the hell of it.
1988 Thunderbird Sport