Skip to main content
Topic: '87 AOD transmission fluid... (Read 8766 times) previous topic - next topic

'87 AOD transmission fluid...

Hello again!
I think it's a good idea to change the transmission fluid in my T-bird before winter, but I'm not sure which ATF should I use.
Mobil in Europe has a several ATF's. There is an ATF 210 (Type F) that I use in my Granada with C4, ATF 220 (bottle says it meets Dexron II, Allison C-4, Ford M2C163-A, Type A Suffix A etc.) but it's actually a Mercedes, MAN and ZF (feels like German stuff) fluid. There is also Mobil ATF (Ford Mercon/GM Dexron III).
Guys in the tranny shop here say that they are using Meobil ATF Dexron III in AOD and AODE without any problems, but the dipstick in my T-bird says I need Dexron II. Do you think I can use Dexron III?
Thanks!
Mariusz...

Reply #1
Dexron III is the replacement for Dexron II...that's what you need to use. Shouldn't have any problems at all.

Reply #2
-and just fo knowledge sake, mercon v, has now replaced dexron III, at least in fords case.....
-'87 turbo coupe with only 740 ORIGINAL miles.... :dunce:
-'86 turbo coupe, 5sp. Cali Car.......:cool:

Reply #3
I read somewhere that Mercon V is synthetic and it may "eat" the seals in my old AOD.

BTW. Is there a drain plug in the AOD converter? How much fluid do I need after draining the oil pan and (if possible) converter?

Please take a look at the Mobil ATF 320 specs:
http://www.mobil.com/Poland-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_ATF_320.asp
Think I'll use this one, but I just want to make sure if it's OK. Don't want to end up with messed up tranny.

Thanks!

Reply #4
Are you changing the filter? mercon v is good but 3 will do.
about 8 qts.and yes you can drain the conv.
don't know about the eatin seal thing.never heard about that,bump.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #5
Quote from: kitzdnm;107975
Are you changing the filter? mercon v is good but 3 will do.
about 8 qts.and yes you can drain the conv.
don't know about the eatin seal thing.never heard about that,bump.

Yes, I'm changing the filter and I want to drain as much fluid as I can do. Changing only a part of the fluid makes no sense to me.

Reply #6
You got that.Pumping it in + out is the best way,with a pump.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #7
There are so much misinformation here.

I do trans for living.
Here are the facts.

There are torque converter drain plug on AOD, C4, C6, AODE and 4R70W transmission.
You'll have to find it.
remove lower dust cover & you will need to rotate the engine to find drain plug. Use 7/16 wrench to remove drain plug. it is best to do that when the drain plug are at 6 0'clock position.

Mercon V does not eat rubber seal.
Differences between Mercon V and dexron II & III is fluid visocity and other additive(s).

I would not use Mercon V on older or high mileage transmission.
Stick with dexron III and you will be fine.
There is nothing wrong with dexron III...it is just internet hype!

total amount of fluid including converter is approx 8-10 qts depending on converter size.

always check ATF level with gear selector in park or neutral with engine running.
I preferred neutral instead of park.
When you're ready to add ATF....
add 4 qts....start engine...let it run in park or neutral for 30 seconds....
shut off engine...add additional 4qts ATF....start engine again....keeping checking ATF level add if necessary...when almost in full mark then move gear selector from park to any gear range while holding your foot on brake pedal...do that few time then re-check ATF fluid level.....if it is 1/2 qt low or nearly at full mark then leave it alone because ATF fluid do expand when hot.

If you add all 8 qts fluid in one shot then you will aerated ATF fluid and fluid will come out of vent hole.

hope this helps.

Reply #8
The man knows what he's talking about.
I suggest a sticky for this.
Install a drain plug on the pan, easier job next time.
BobNorway;)
There are only two tools you will ever need:
1) WD40
2) Duct Tape
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Reply #9
Yes, that's right! Very useful info!
Thank you!

Reply #10
Ford just came out with a TSB that says you can replace  3 with Merc 5.  But that really doesnt do anything for the consumer because 5 is more expensive.  The reason for that TSB is because most newer Fords use 5, and that is what we have in bulk, so in that case, its cheaper.
Matt :tg: