Skip to main content
Topic: firing up ho with so computer (Read 1815 times) previous topic - next topic

firing up ho with so computer

i'm well aware that ho and so motors have different firing orders and need the right ecu to run properly.  i'm only asking about this because i'm going with a megasquirt for my turbo build but want to get the car started up to make sure everything is good before i put the turbo and new ecu in.  i just want to fire it up and make sure oil pressure is good and nothing's leaking, overheating...  i won't be driving the car like this at all.  i'm not going to buy an ho computer when i'm going to end up with a standalone anyway.

Reply #1
I'm pretty sure you can at least start the car with the SO computer.  It will probably run like , but it will run.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
If you were closer I'd just loan you my DA1....
I'm 90 minutes from Kansas City, be a little bit of a drive just to borrow it for a little while lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
It'll run like poo but it will run. I wouldn't drive it at all though....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;340704
If you were closer I'd just loan you my DA1....
I'm 90 minutes from Kansas City, be a little bit of a drive just to borrow it for a little while lol

lol yeah, that's kinda far.

i don't need to drive the car at all, i just want to make sure everything is good before i go crazy on it.

Reply #5
camshaft is out of timing dont forget, nomatter how much u retime the wires.

Reply #6
I don't think the ECU has anything to do with the firing order.

Reply #7
The last two posts are valid; the cam is what dictates firing order.
Has very little to do with the eec, if anything.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
that's true, i just wonder about the injectors opening at the right time.  i don't know, i haven't done any research at all into the stock computer because it's pretty much worthless.

Reply #9
It should run but its gonna run like poop.  S.O. computers drive 16lb injectors while H.O. units drive 19lbers.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #10
Still isn’t your injector timing going to be off look up SEFI or Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection the computer is only commanding once injector at a time. I guess it will work sort of like bank injectors where they just drop an entire side at once I think gm did that. But the car wasn’t suppose to run like that so it might be abit rough or run like poop if it runs at all.

Reply #11
That won't matter very much in his case, if at all...the fuel/air isn't going anywhere until the intake valves open...he'll have more issues with idling than anything. A lot of things to consider, for example; is the car forced induction? does it need a mass-air eec? etc etc.

I've got an '86 5.0HO eec, I'll send it to you try in there, if you want..up to you..

not sure if or when the Stangs went to sequential, but I do know the trucks were batch fire throughout most of the 90's.
The other ford cars I don't know about, so I can't say.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #12
I just reread his post not realizing the turbo, but he did state he was going to run it first w/out it. Not stating his compression not that that matters or other things, doesn’t a turbo have zero boost at idle even if it was on. I admit I really don’t know much about forced induction. And if he already has the computer might as well try it.

Reply #13
that's the thing, i realize the car is going to be rich as hell with the injectors i'll be firing it up with.  i already have 24's so that's what i'll be using to start it up.  i have an afpr so i'll just turn the pressure down some to get it halfway close at idle.  i know it would be perfect if i used 19's and a sd ho ecu but i don't want to spend money on them just to fire the car up and then end up switching to a megasquirt and 80's once i finish up the turbo setup.

thanks for all the comments guys, it looks like it should work good enough for what i'm wanting to do.  i know this probably isn't the best way to go about it but i really want to make sure the motor is good before i go changing all kinds of stuff and then can't figure out what the problem is.

Reply #14
The SO computer fires the injecters by bank so the firing order on the injecters dont matter. So it will run fine for brake-in. The HO fires the injecters sequential so it will only work with the matching cam firing order.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.