Skip to main content
Topic: new radio (Read 1369 times) previous topic - next topic

new radio

i am wanting to put a new CD player in my 86 cougar. i have the 6 speaker setup with the amp.(premium sound) i read that installing a head unit using the existing system would damage the head unit. is this true? the site recommended running new cables for all the speakers. also, what wattage is the factory amplifier? any help would be appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:cougarsmily:

new radio

Reply #1
Most of our cars with the factory permium sound  have a connection behind the dash that needs to be disconnected so you can install an after market unit. I don't fully reember but I know it can be done. But there is an adavtage to using new wire. The factory uses small gague wire where you could by better wire. That would make the stereo's life easzier due to the less resistance. That means less heat and less wear on the unit. Also the amout of power at the ends long wire runs would be better than the factory stuff. Maybe some that is fully shure of what to do to the factory harness to make it work will pop in.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

new radio

Reply #2
You have 2 choices.

1: You can look and see if there is a harness plug behind the Glovebox this is the harness that bypasses all the premium sound stuff. Wire the adapter harness to the radio and plug into that plug.

2: The premium sound uses a common ground setup. Basicaly htis means there are 2 low level positive leads that come from the radio and 1 negitive. You would have to cut a set of RCA cable apart and wire them to the adapter harness. Then plug the RCA cable into the low level out on the back of the radio. This will let you keep the EQ and factory amp.

new radio

Reply #3
to recap so i make sure i understand. from the factory radio there are only two positive leads that go to the harness behind the glovebox? and i could use rca plugs from the low level output  to tap into the wiring going to that harness from behind the radio?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:cougarsmily: