Skip to main content
Topic: TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!! (Read 5052 times) previous topic - next topic

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

I have decided to redo the exhaust on my TC with the stinger 3" dual pipes.  I want to do something different with the tail pipes so I decided to use the mustang tail pipes so here comes the question, I know I will have to extend them to make them reach the bumper so does anyone know how much they will have to be extended?  thanks for any and all help.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #1
The wheel base is about 4-6 inches. Shouldnt be a whole lot. You could always get the ones for the lx, because they poked out I do belive.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #2
I will be ordering them tomorrow from stinger performance.  just trying to figure out what I am getting into

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #3
That's not correct.
Have stang pipes on mine and i had to extend them about 1 foot to get them to sit right.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #5
I used a stang 3" tailpipe on mine, and use a 12" long turndown, and it fits perfect. The turndown itself is gay, but it fits perfect.
It's Gumby's fault.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack
The wheel base is about 4-6 inches. Shouldnt be a whole lot. You could always get the ones for the lx, because they poked out I do belive.

The difference in the length needed for the tail pipes is not due to the wheel base difference, but the length of the rear overhang.

The ler and tailpipe hangers are actually in the same spot between the two platforms.  Several times on my daily drivers I have taken stock take off Mustang tail pipes (SN-95) and they dropped right in to the stock hangers.  Add a bit to the intermediate pipes and about 10-12" AFTER the rear hanger and you're good.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #7
i have flowmaster ler to tailpipe kit w/ stainless tips laying in my room and i have jacked up my car and it only look like i woul have to extend it about 8 inches but i was eying it up and i have no idea what kit i have i boght it from a friend, never installed but he doesn't kow either. i could be mistaken
1986 Cougar LS

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #8
9 inches to  foot!  depending where u want the pipe to stick  the actual pipe is nine inches shorter!

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #9
stinger said on their site that they will lengthen the pipes for you on request if its for a turbo coupe, id have them do it so its perfect.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #10
Quote from: Nate
stinger said on their site that they will lengthen the pipes for you on request if its for a turbo coupe, id have them do it so its perfect.

Man that’s awesome. I went to mineke and asked for 2 ½ pipe they gave me 2 ¼ pre-bent stang pipe. And yes it was about a foot, I extended it at the end with 2 foot long chrome tips. And I’m not 100% happy.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #11
I used Flowmaster 2 1/2" LX tailpipes on my car, if I remember correctly I needed about 11" on the ends of them for them to just clear the end of the bumper (used 8" long stainless tips & a short extension, looks pretty good)

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #12
can someone take some pics of their exhaust hangers for me please I am not sure if the ones on my car are the right ones.

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #13
Quote from: Red_LX
I used Flowmaster 2 1/2" LX tailpipes on my car, if I remember correctly I needed about 11" on the ends of them for them to just clear the end of the bumper (used 8" long stainless tips & a short extension, looks pretty good)

do you have any pix of this, for that matter, does anybody have pix of their SS lx style tail pipes? i wanted to go this route, but as mensioned their too short and i want the entire thing to be SS and not see a seam. ATR used to sell them, but their dead now...

TC Exhaust...SOLVED!!!!

Reply #14
The hangers for the 87-88's and the fox stangs are different. Different styles and different placements.

Thats my 3" next to a stock pipe. Now from my understanding, the stock tailpipe isnt factory, so the bends may not be proper, but the hangers are in the stock locations.
It's Gumby's fault.