Skip to main content
Topic: Went to a local competition. (Read 2081 times) previous topic - next topic

Went to a local competition.

Well last weekend I went to a local comp, and got my db read. well I got 2nd place in my class. I hit 142.6db ona termlab @ 39hz.
I was VERY impressed, wasn't even expecting it at all.

Re: Went to a local competition.

Reply #1
what kinda sound sytem are you running? I know I could prolly just look it up, but I am lazy and I'll bet you are more then happy to tell.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Well my setup is SPL. Used to be a SQ setup after I blew my other subs. My headunit I have a pioneer deh- p6500, Subs-  2 Kicker Solo baric S12L74, Amp- Hifonics BX1500D. Nothing too special:)

Reply #3
You should definatly be able to get some more decibles out of 2 12" L7's. What kind of box do you have and what is the volume? If you do not have a box of the right volume then it can limit the subs output. I had one 18" Comp VR with a vented box of 6 cubic feet and a 1800 watt Rockford amp hit at 147.5 dB.

Reply #4
yea thats the funny part, I was so in a hurry, and I didn't have time to make a box with the right dimensions of the subs. My buddy just gave me his old box, and i just put them in there temporarily. But once i have time i'll build a box with the right dimensions, and port it to the right frequency. But, it was fun, and a good time.

Reply #5
A lot of people are suprised at how much difference a sub box can make. I did the same thing you did, I have 2 pioneer 12's right now, but when I got them I just put them in my old box which was 1 cf on each side and the subs need 1.5 cf. When I built my new box to the right dimensions it was so much louder and it sounded better. And I even turned the amp down 1/2 way from what I had it was at. I would recommend building a band pass box. They give you the loudness of the ported box but also the sound quality of a sealed box. The only bad part is a band pass box for 2 12" L7's would be huge. If you are willing to sacrifice trunk space you will be very happy with the results!

Reply #6
Oh yea, the box makes a very big difference. As soon as I get more money, im gonna build a box with the correct dimensions. Right now I need to get some things, like an HO alternator.

Reply #7
bandpass box for 2 12s will kill the trunk in a tbird, trust me i know, i have a hard ass time trying to get my spare in and out, and u wont be able to fit n e thing in there either, sound results are better, not louder, there is more of a rumble so itll shake more but because its being enclosed once by the fiberglass and then again by the trunk it isnt that loud outside of the car inside of the car though amazeing