Skip to main content
Topic: 86' Cougar (Read 1404 times) previous topic - next topic

86' Cougar

I have an 86 Cougar and can't get the ashtray to open without pulling it out, it is supposed to open when you push in on it. There is a spring or something that is supposed to help.
Can someone describe what I am looking for and where it might be located. The ashtray is at the bottom of the dash under heat controls.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: 86' Cougar

Reply #1
Perhaps the tracks that the ashtray roll on are mucked up.Just a guess.I haven't had one of those ashtrays in years now.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
i took mine out and when i went to put it back in ....it did'nt work.....there are two ball bearings....one on each side of the guide rails...there big and easy to see...if one is missing the ashtray wont work right..hope this helps

Reply #3
There's also a piece of spring steel that has to be in there correctly. It's been years since I had the ashtray out of a non-console car (and even then I wasn't interested in putting it back in since I was doing a console install) but I distinctly remember that spring thing...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣