Skip to main content
Topic: fuel tank differences (Read 1032 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel tank differences

Searching the forum and Cool Cats 'cause I thought I saw it somewhere but not today. I'm trying to switch to a full digital dash in an 85 cougar. I pulled the dash from an 86 but I can't find if the fuel level sender from the 86 will fit my 85 tank. Seems to me when I bought the replacement fuel tank for the cougar that 85 was a one off year. Anyone know the compatability?

fuel tank differences

Reply #1
Trying to find out before the car is gone from the junkyard. I'd like to get back in the morning. Actually was surprised to see multiple full digital dashes in one place at one time!

fuel tank differences

Reply #2
There were 2 different tanks in our cars , either one hole or two , some cars had the pump and sender unit as all in one some cars had it separate
Unfortunately I dont know what year or month they changed I do know my 84 had a single hole and my 86 had two and I never had the tank out of my 85  .
 Sorry I cant answer your question  better .
Fox-less at the moment

fuel tank differences

Reply #3
That's one of my concerns, but of course depth for accuracy of the sending unit is important. If I recall correctly there were three different ones there - 86,87 and 88. They rest the cars on the tanks so I need them to relocate the stands in order to drop the tank just to check the number of holes in the tank. I also seem to recall that the 87 & 88 changed tank shape to accomodate dual exhaust which may change tank depth.

fuel tank differences

Reply #4
I dont think the tanks had different capacity except the  turbo cars so depth should not be an issue , but don't quote me on that
Fox-less at the moment

fuel tank differences

Reply #5
That sounds like it makes sense. Guess I'll probably wing it. I don't think I wanna drop my tank just to measure without something in my hand(even though it IS always on empty).