Skip to main content
Topic: air conditioning (Read 1677 times) previous topic - next topic

air conditioning

My turbo coupe came with factory air, since someone has taken it out, along with the motor, and implanted the 289 HI-PO.

I'm hoping I can re-install air con. into the car, I know I'll need to find an air pump and dehydtration tube off a 302/289, but I dont know what else I'll need.
86 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 66 289 HI-PO, auto.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Hoof beats may be faster than heartbeats, but birds are faster than ponies!

air conditioning

Reply #1
Since we don't have a crystal ball, unless you provide more info, no way of knowing... The year would be a start...

air conditioning

Reply #2
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;272364
Since we don't have a crystal ball, unless you provide more info, no way of knowing... The year would be a start...

lol sorry, its an 86 tc, with a 66 289, not sure what year my c4 trans. is though.

air conditioning

Reply #3
You will need your right pointer and your right middle finger. Push or pull (depending on switch) your window switch, drive.

Problem solved.
1986 Cougar LS

air conditioning

Reply #4
Quote from: DVP;272425
You will need your right pointer and your right middle finger. Push or pull (depending on switch) your window switch, drive.

Problem solved.

thats all well and good, but, when it rains and its still hot out, I'd like to have something other than window air! lol

air conditioning

Reply #5
Quote from: shameless;272429
thats all well and good, but, when it rains and its still hot out, I'd like to have something other than window air! lol

BAH! A/C is over rated! A little rain water in the face at 60mph never killed anyone.... yet.
1986 Cougar LS

air conditioning

Reply #6
So I guess first off we would need to know what A/c parts are left in the car? Then you would need to check those parts left to find out of they are any good. Flush the old parts. Install all new O-rings. Then install all missing pieces pressure check it, Vacuum it down, Then on with the Freon! No to hard most of this you can do your self.

As for A/C is over rated! You say that now, just like I used to do.  All I can say is one day soon you'll be wishing for some A/c.  Just like the rest of us.

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

air conditioning

Reply #7
What Stuckman said...

A '86 TC shouldn't be too bad to reinstall the AC... But if it'd been a '87-'88, would have likely been a treat, as the A/C control relay is in the IRC assembly that also controls the fuel pump, fans & computer... Usually it's gone and harness hacked up when some yahoo gets to swapping a carbed V8 into one... Still if the harness and relay etc are gone you're going to be searching the salvage yards for parts...

If you're serious, maybe some one can post the wiring diagram and A/C electrical component location from the '86 EVTM...

air conditioning

Reply #8
Quote from: ipsd;272447

As for A/C is over rated! You say that now, just like I used to do.  All I can say is one day soon you'll be wishing for some A/c.  Just like the rest of us.

Stuckman

I wish I did now. Traffic and stop lights are no fun. Good thing I have my aviators to cover the look of pain on my face or people might think I messed myself from the expression. Might try and get it to work this summer.
1986 Cougar LS

air conditioning

Reply #9
The only thing left in the engine compartment is the threaded tubes that stick out of the firewall.  everything else is gone.

as far as the interior, i'm assuming its all there, its been pretty much left untouched.

air conditioning

Reply #10
sounds like my car.. but i removed all that stuff when i did the heater core. sounds like your going to need everything- acspoogeulator,evaparator core, ac pump, hoses. Probably going to need to take a walk in the yard and find a car that has everything you need and just gut it. good luck=]