Skip to main content
Topic: How are the '86 TCs? (Read 1146 times) previous topic - next topic

How are the '86 TCs?

I had an '85 and loved it.

Are the '86s pretty much the same thing?

anything I should be worried about?

Going to look at an '86 tomorrow.

How are the '86 TCs?

Reply #1
The 85's and 86's are pretty much identical, except the '86 has the CHMSL in the rear window
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

How are the '86 TCs?

Reply #2
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;269658
The 85's and 86's are pretty much identical, except the '86 has the CHMSL in the rear window

CHMSL?  Sorry, I'm car illiterate.

Forums die down a lot?  Last time I was around...they were jumping, now they seem dead.

How are the '86 TCs?

Reply #3
CHMSL is the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp ... the third brake light

How are the '86 TCs?

Reply #4
86's got a 1-year K-member and use different motor mounts (like the 87-88's).

The 85 motor mounts were a 1-year deal, so it's no big deal.  Easier to find "stock"-type mounts for the 86-88 cars.  I make mounts for both if performance ones are wanted.

86's will for certain have the wider 7.5 rear axle housing.  85's are a toss-up on whether they had it or not.

There was an intake, ECU, injector change in 85.5, so the 86's will have the later "square" intake and the brown-top injectors.

Cosmetically they are pretty much the same and share all the same issues.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

How are the '86 TCs?

Reply #5
Quote from: baxo;269661
CHMSL is the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp ... the third brake light

Thanks...

Quote from: Chuck W;269664
86's got a 1-year K-member and use different motor mounts (like the 87-88's).

The 85 motor mounts were a 1-year deal, so it's no big deal.  Easier to find "stock"-type mounts for the 86-88 cars.  I make mounts for both if performance ones are wanted.

86's will for certain have the wider 7.5 rear axle housing.  85's are a toss-up on whether they had it or not.

There was an intake, ECU, injector change in 85.5, so the 86's will have the later "square" intake and the brown-top injectors.

Cosmetically they are pretty much the same and share all the same issues.

and thanks.  I'll let everyone know how she looks when I get home tonight from looking at it!